What are the trending breeds in your area right now?

FB_IMG_1531966412407.jpg

At the moment, Silkies are a hot fad though you wouldn't catch me dead with one. Blue egg layers, especially EE seem to be pretty big, too.
Always in high demand, but low supply are Mille Fleur d'Uccles.
Can i ask why you don't prefer Silkies? Just curious, it seems everyone sort of loves them.

I prefer not own a living lint ball. And the roosters are mean as spit.

LOL good description! Hmm I will have to remember that when mine get older, I was hoping to keep a rooster. Thanks.

:goodpost:
Blue is my favorite variety, but I don't understand why people love lavender so much. Have they any idea about the shredded feathers that will probably plague my flock for generations to come? The health problems often involved?

I agree. I own both, and actually like EE better. But why don't people just call the birds Easter Eggers?

Mine weren't. They didn't crow or do anything. Anything.
They did make good dinners though. I'm not a fan of Silkies because of their lack of intelligence. They are pretty cute.

Now I'm not going to lie I've had some pretty dumb silkies but I've also had some pretty intelligent ones. I've also only had one mean silkie cockeral and he was rehomed with full disclosure that two times he tried to spur me as a cockeral. In his new home he had no aggression. That said I've owned many silkies and have never had another aggressive one so I'm not sure where you guys got your birds. LOL. Although I do have one hen that when broody will try and draw blood on your hand. My other hens have all been fine. We do breed for temperament but even our starting stock was great. I think a lot of the "stupidity" of silkies is actually a lack of vision due to the crests. Some can also be brain damaged from the vaulted skulls.

I want to move where you guys are! All anybody has around here are sex links, rocks, and production red looking things. I want me some fancy chickens!

Depending on where you are in Indiana I have a friend in Chicago that breeds English Orpingtons.

@Faraday40

Now I'm not going to lie I've had some pretty dumb silkies but I've also had some pretty intelligent ones. I've also only had one mean silkie cockeral and he was rehomed with full disclosure that two times he tried to spur me as a cockeral. In his new home he had no aggression. That said I've owned many silkies and have never had another aggressive one so I'm not sure where you guys got your birds. LOL. Although I do have one hen that when broody will try and draw blood on your hand. My other hens have all been fine. We do breed for temperament but even our starting stock was great. I think a lot of the "stupidity" of silkies is actually a lack of vision due to the crests. Some can also be brain damaged from the vaulted skulls.

Depending on where you are in Indiana I have a friend in Chicago that breeds English Orpingtons.

@Faraday40
That's reassuring. I'm sure out of 6 I should get lucky with personalities lol.

Back
Top Bottom