What are favorite vegies to feed to chickens?

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi,
I'm wanting to start a new garden just for growing vegetables for my chickens. What would be the best vegies (favorites) for the chickens. Someone told me hers loves squash so I planned on that. Any other favorites that your chickens love, please let me know so that I may plant it in my garden. I live in Memphis, TN. Lots of sunshine here! Although we had a cold spell last weekend,,,,that's just not normal this time of year for us. Oh well!
Please let me know your chicken's favorite vegies!
Thanks, Julie
smile.png

My hens and roos, just LOVE watermellon, and cantelope....lettuce....tomatoes...apples...grapes. They are a whole lot like feeding little piggies, they will eat most anything...but just for treats...they still need thier feed.

My hens love tomatoes, zuchinni, yellow squash, *pumpkin, *butternut squash, lettuce, sweet corn, water melon, *cateloupe. honey dew, green beans, *kale, apples, strawberries, *carrot peelings.

*good for orange yolk color

Wow!!!! Sounds like they will eat anything!! Well,,this helps me a lot actually,,,now I need to figure out what will grow well for me here in Memphis! One more question,,,,as far as lettuce goes,,,,,any kind of lettuce?? Iceberg too? I think I read somewhere NO on iceberg lettuce but I'm not certain. Thanks you guys!
yippiechickie.gif

Mine love cantalope especially. Also give them a little cottage cheese if it's slightly out of date and you don't want it for your family. A real treat and they can use the calcium

Kathy

Its not that iceberg lettuce is bad it is just that its basically water and contains hardly any nutrients. Romain, buttercrunch and redleaf are better choices - they contain some nutrients and are more palatable to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom