What age/outside temp can they go outdoors?

ChristinaMae

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Gig Harbor, Wa
My 3 not-so-little ducklings have outgrown their brooder. They're 4 weeks old now. Next week I'll be moving my 4wk and 5wk old chicks out of their brooder and into a make-shift brooder in the chicken coop; I'll be able to move the ducks into the bigger chick brooder, but it will still be too small. Also, they're smelling up my bathroom. I'm changing the brooder every other day. Lately it really needs it daily, but the ducks go outside while it's being changed, and the weather has been rainy and cold - I don't want to take them outside too much on days like that. So far they've had two days that they've spent most of the day outside - from noon/1pm until around 5pm. It was sunny and warm, and they did great outside on those days. And the other day was really cold and rainy and they were outside in that for 10-15mins and didn't seem to mind - they even jumped into the kiddie pool for a swim, crazy ducks. I'm thinking as the weather is warming a bit, they'll be fine to stay outside when all their feathers come in, so when would that be? I'm kind of hoping soon, lol.

On another note, I'm pretty sure my ducks hate me. I had these visions of ducks that would follow the people around the yard and basically be in the way all the time with their waddly cuteness. I don't think that's going to happen.
lol.png

What kind of ducks are they? I have Kahkis and they are four weeks old to. They just got bumped up to a bigger brooder as well. When they were in their smaller one I changed the bedding twice a day. As it is, I still do it once a day. Maybe you could plop them in your bathtub while you're cleaning for them? If you are in there, they could have a little swim and clean themselves and then, for at least five minutes, you can enjoy having both clean ducks and a clean brooder!
big_smile.png

I think the answers vary as to when they should go outside. If you have a safe place to plug in a heat lamp, that offers safe shelter for them, I would go ahead, but I am a newbie to. I think they have a full set of feathers by 2 months and after that they should be good to go if my understanding is correct

LOL, why do you think they hate you? I think most animals can be sweetened up with some treats, if you're not giving them any you could try.

In the spring and summer i wait until they are 9 weeks old when they should have most of their feathers. I have no electricity no nothing out there so i wait until they are pretty big. And at nine weeks they are big enough that i let them out with bantam chickens to get them use to a flock dynamic. I also do the same with chickens, but i usually wait a little longer with them i have 14 wk old bantam ameraucanas in my biggest brooder right now

I have a Pekin, a Khaki Cambell and a Rouen. When they were smaller I had put them in the bathtub for their swim while we cleaned the brooder. Unfortunately the bathroom is very, very small, and both the chicks and ducks are brooding in there (the duck brooder is in the bathtub, lol). As they got bigger, when I'd take them out of their bath to towel them off, they'd (we'd) manage to get water all over the chicks. I figured my chicks are probably a little too young yet to be rained on frequently, haha. So now they get to bathe outside when I clean their brooder. I carry hot water outside to add to the kiddie pool until it's warm enough, haha. But, when the chicks go out next week, I should be able to start letting them bathe in the bathtub again. They'll have a good shelter outside, but I won't be able to run the heating lamp to it. It should be plenty warm by the end of April/beginning of May, though, if are fully feathered by then. Woohoo! I think we can make it another month inside! I may need to dig out a larger rubbermaid for them though.

Mostly it's the Pekin who doesn't like me. The Khaki seems to follow her lead, and the Rouen just does as she's told, haha. She (the rouen) won't willingly let me pick her up or anything, but she doesn't try as hard to get away and she doesn't struggle to get away when I do pick her up. Maybe she'll come around, or maybe she's just lazy, haha.I've never had an animal dislike me like they do. They run from me. Even in their brooder, they crowd into the far corner to get away from me - and all I have to do is look at them! Unless I'm refilling the water they've dumped, they don't want me anywhere near them. I've given them lettuce, usually when they go for a swim, and they do like it, but they still don't like me. I tried giving them cottage cheese, but they wouldn't touch it. I talk softly to them. I don't make quick hand movements. I've tried keeping my hands on the edge of the brooder, and in the brooder on or near their water when I refresh it - they don't like me touching their brooder, but they seem to like dirtying up their fresh water more than they hate me, so keeping my hands on or near their water dish is allowed. I thought maybe by doing that they'd get used to me, but nope. I think it all started going south when I removed them from the chick brooder at one week. I think they bonded with the chicks.

Ducks can go outside really early. This I put my ducks out around 3 and 4 weeks old at the end of feb/ early march. I usually prep them by shutting their heat lamp off at night around 2 weeks and then not having the heat lamp on at all a few days after that. They adapt to it really quickly. I've never kept any young birds inside for more than 4 weeks. It messy and unnecessary. They go out without heat lamps, since they've already been weaned off of them and I've never lost one to the weather.

Quote:
I have to say, my Rouens will be 2 weeks old on Sunday and even right now I think they could care less if their heat lamp is on or not. The only time I see them making use of it is if they got real wet playing around in their waterer. Most of the time they are sleeping and/ or hanging out on the opposite end of the brooder by their waterer. Those little boogers get big fast, I am already having to make up a bigger brooder this weekend for them.
smile.png
So I can totally see PROTODON's point.

I'm with those who say ducklings can go outside pretty early, especially if they are protected from rain and drafts, and have access to a brood lamp. Ducks are STINKY in the house, and they are extremely hardy. It's also good if they have several other ducks to cuddle up to in an enclosed space.

Mine usually stop using the brood lamp by a week or two of age, and they spend at least a little time outdoors every day from two or three days old.

You can monitor their condition pretty easily the first day or two--just check on them. If they're cold, they'll be huddled together and peeping a lot (not just sleeping and occasionally complaining to each other--they'll be obviously agitated and climbing all over one another). If you've offered them a heat lamp, they will be as close to it as they can get, and making a lot of noise. If they're hot, they'll be stretched out and panting. But if they're sleeping peacefully in a pile and/or walking around eating, drinking, and pooping, then you're good to go.

I personally bring them in at night until I feel confident that they're ready for nighttime temps, or at least for the first few nights until they're used to being outside.

Good luck! You'll be SO glad to have your bathroom back, lol!

Ah, that is interesting. My mom kept telling me to put them outside already, haha.

And I had wondered, because they didn't seem to mind the cold rainy day I had them out. I mean, they even jumped in the kiddie pool, and imo that water was *cold*! They didn't look for shelter or huddle together at all, either. Once the chickens go out, I will try turning off the heat lamp during the day and see how they do before turning it off at night - I let it get pretty cold in the house at night. They don't seem to need the heat lamp like the chickens do. I'll try putting them out on the not-so-nice days as well, and see how that goes. I never thought about keeping them out durning the day and bringing them in at night, but that might be the perfect solution.

Ducks are very stinky indoors. I keep the bathroom fan running constantly, and it does help keep the smell down. We had people over on Saturday and I cleaned out both brooders and moved everyone into a spare bedroom so our guests could use that bathroom. By that night, you could smell the stinky duck smell throughout the house. They got moved back to the bathroom immediately, lol. I didn't realize how well that fan worked, haha. I will be very glad to have that bathroom back, though. Or rather, my daughter will - it's the main bathroom but she's the only one who uses it.

Thanks for all your help!

Try hardening them off a bit by taking them outside for the day. Put them in a large cage or run of some sort. You'll soon see/hear if they feel cold. Bring them back in the first few nights unless its very warm overnight, then you should be all set to have them outside. I think all the body fat they have insulates them very well

I too have found my ducklings to be surprisingly hardy. I stuck them outside when they outgrew their rubermade tub at around 2 weeks and they didn't seem to have any problem at all with. We generally have rather mild weather here, but we did get a couple near freezing nights right after I put them outside and despite my worrying and constantly checking on them, the ducklings didn't seem to be bothered by it. But I have 10 ducklings and although they don't have a heat lamp I gave them a box not much bigger than 10 ducklings with thick wood sides that they can huddle up in for warmth, I don't know if they would fare as well if there where only three of them to warm it up.

Back
Top Bottom