What’s wrong with my chicken hen?

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
I have a hen that is not acting right. Her name is Scottie, and she just turned two years about a month ago. she’s been acting very lethargic the last week or so but I’m not sure what’s wrong with her her symptoms are…. Weak and walking unsure of herself, kind of a bit like she could fall over at any time but hasn’t, very light weight. She is 3 pounds and feels like she weighs nothing. Her sister is about 5 pounds. not able to eat the layer pellets anymore they’re too big right now. I have the wet food or give her chick starter crumbles in ordered for her to be able to eat it. she’s drinking a lot of water right now, and kind of stays in the corner for the most part, her comb also does not stay up, but is laying down and the color looks a little purplish. Any ideas? Thank you.
8F29351B-8DF3-4BCD-ABEA-7AD7B69A9175.jpeg

96C52C62-9059-4412-A6F1-C4CF3D3C8371.jpeg

Last edited:
Her crop looks enlarged. Can you feel of it early today before she eats or drinks, and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy? Let us know what it feels like. Crop problems may be keeping her from getting enough food. Does she lay eggs? Reproductive disorders or cancer can cause illness, and the crop may not empty normally overnight. I would worm her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1 ml orally for the next 5 days. Offer some scrambled egg with the mushy wet chicken feed. Do you have some poultry grit out for her to help with digestion? Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Her crop looks enlarged. Can you feel of it early today before she eats or drinks, and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, or puffy? Let us know what it feels like. Crop problems may be keeping her from getting enough food. Does she lay eggs? Reproductive disorders or cancer can cause illness, and the crop may not empty normally overnight. I would worm her with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1 ml orally for the next 5 days. Offer some scrambled egg with the mushy wet chicken feed. Do you have some poultry grit out for her to help with digestion? Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I fed her last night before going to bed with wet chick starter and this morning when I got her up, her crop was still full. as far as I know, I don’t think she’s laying eggs right now. no, I don’t have poultry grits out right now I have oyster shells. I can put some poultry grits out for her though. I don’t think she’ll be able to eat it though because It’ll be too big. last night I put her in a kennel in the duck house and she staying in the duck house today as well

You can try to make some of the grit you have smaller by breaking some with a hammer. Or look for some in the soil. Most feed stores sell both chick size and poultry grit in smaller bags. Freeze a small amount of coconut oil, and cut into small peckable pieces, and give her a tsp twice a day just to peck. If her crop feels firm, massage it several times a time. Recheck it first thing each morning. Make sure that she is drinking well.

You can try to make some of the grit you have smaller by breaking some with a hammer. Or look for some in the soil. Most feed stores sell both chick size and poultry grit in smaller bags. Freeze a small amount of coconut oil, and cut into small peckable pieces, and give her a tsp twice a day just to peck. If her crop feels firm, massage it several times a time. Recheck it first thing each morning. Make sure that she is drinking well.
I’ve dealt with crop issues with another hen before and this doesn’t seem the same. I’m not sitting on the roost bars anymore because she is too weak so she sits under the the other hens on the shelf and so she was really dirty so I gave her a bath today but she’s very very weak. I will try what you suggested

If her crop is not empty by morning, then I would treat her for an impacted or sour crop. Many times with crop problems, there can be a primary issue, such as a reproductive disorder causing the crop to slow down.

If her crop is not empty by morning, then I would treat her for an impacted or sour crop. Many times with crop problems, there can be a primary issue, such as a reproductive disorder causing the crop to slow down.
I am having the same issue right now with a known reproductive issue. She has already been treated/is on medication for her reproductive issue now but her crop (two days after a drainage of the abdomen) is once again slow. Should I fast her, will this go away on its own?

I have a hen that is not acting right. Her name is Scottie, and she just turned two years about a month ago. she’s been acting very lethargic the last week or so but I’m not sure what’s wrong with her her symptoms are…. Weak and walking unsure of herself, kind of a bit like she could fall over at any time but hasn’t, very light weight. She is 3 pounds and feels like she weighs nothing. Her sister is about 5 pounds. not able to eat the layer pellets anymore they’re too big right now. I have the wet food or give her chick starter crumbles in ordered for her to be able to eat it. she’s drinking a lot of water right now, and kind of stays in the corner for the most part, her comb also does not stay up, but is laying down and the color looks a little purplish. Any ideas? Thank you. View attachment 3835602
View attachment 3835605
In your first picture she seems to have her legs in a very wide stance. Is she able to walk normally or is her lower abdomen swollen?
And if swollen, does it feel hard or rather squishy like water filled?

I am having the same issue right now with a known reproductive issue. She has already been treated/is on medication for her reproductive issue now but her crop (two days after a drainage of the abdomen) is once again slow. Should I fast her, will this go away on its own?
To prevent confusion, it would be best to start a new thread of your own, given details and symptoms. Here is where to do that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-thread

Back
Top Bottom