What’s the difference between all the Orpington breeds?

Hughzd

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2023
Are all the Orpington breeds the same in terms of egg laying? I plan on getting some new chicks soon, and I really like Orpingtons. I know that both the buff and lavender Orpingtons are good egg layers, but what about the rest?

Are all the Orpington breeds the same in terms of egg laying? I plan on getting some new chicks soon, and I really like Orpingtons. I know that both the buff and lavender Orpingtons are good egg layers, but what about the rest?
Yay, fun! What colors are you getting, and from where?

All of your other colored Orpingtons will be just as good as their Buff and Lavender counterparts.

Any color of a breed is more or less the same, just a different color. Different lines may be better or worse layers than the next, but they should all have the same comb type, leg, foot, and skin color, generally same egg color, body shape, feather lay, eye color, and anything else unless stated otherwise by the SOP. That's what makes a breed a breed.

I haven’t fully decided yet, but so far I’m thinking some buff and lavender chicks. I will probably have to but then online unless one of my local feed stores has them, so we will see where I end up getting them from
I think Mt Healthy still has some available to order, they have a bunch of colors…buff, lavender, red, black & chocolate! (I only know because my son is obsessed with Orpingtons…he is getting his first lavender this year!)

The correct way to word your question is, are all varieties of Orpingtons good egg layers?

To which I would reply that all Orpingtons lay the same. Some bloodlines will lay more frequently than others.

I have both Lav and Buffs and so far my experience is they are the same size and shape, lay the same but our Buffs are far more friendly and docile to us than the Lavs.

Not sure if that matters to you.

We currently have Buff, Lavender and Chocolate Orpingtons. We handle all of our birds daily. Our Buffs are our first so they have a special place. However our Lavender ladies are total lap chickens and our Chocolates are always chill- We plan on getting other Orpington breeds, but our plan is to get a Lavender rooster and breed Lavender Orpingtons.

We have three breeds currently: Buff, Lavender and Chocolate. Our Buffs are super cuddly and love attention. Our Lavenders are very active, fly more and like to talk to us but not be handled as much. Our two Chocolates are huge, chill, not too into attention from anyone and are always eating…always lol They all lay the light brown eggs and lay well. They are also all large breed. We’ve handled them all the same so for us the only difference with the breeds has been personality.

Back
Top Bottom