What’s the deal with you chicken people??

So it is safe for them to eat those little bones on, say, chicken wings?

I have new ideas for their dinner for summer then... 🤔

What about sardines in water? Are those a good thing to give them? I want to chill some and throw them into the run during summer, but I was always afraid one of the dumdums would choke to death on a bone.
I would be afraid of the extra sodium in canned sardines.

I've had 6 chickens officially for a year. They were mostly black and apparently siblings. Half became roos and half became hens. I don't know what kind of chickens are "black", there are probably a coupla dozen breeds that kick out black chickens. They've got pictures and posters and if you can get your chicken to sit still while you hold up some post office wanted poster of a matching chicken, you MIGHT be able to tell what it is. I bought every gadget and vitamin and chicken toy around. Most of my chickens died from not enough vitamins or playing with toys but the three left (2 black, 1 yellow) started laying eggs and fooling around about when they would be turning 7 months and I incubated 12, right about Halloween and ended up with 11 live chicks right after Thanksgiving. DO NOT INCUBATE EGGS IN THE WINTER IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A BARN OR GARAGE OR SOMEPLACE OTHER THAN YOUR LIVING ROOM TO RAISE THEM IN. Don't ask me how I know this, it should be obvious. I never found anyone but my sister who lives in WA who could tell me about chicken breeds, but you are really correct, why is it important? Unless you have those little clown chickens that are 6" high and don't lay eggs you can cook, I wouldn't worry. I have heard there is an official chicken hand shake, but nobody seems to really know about it. I could give you my sister's phone number but then she wouldn't answer my calls....by the way, I have no idea what red sex link pullets are, but they sound a little weird to me. My sister likes Orpingtons. Go with those. Good luck!
My Halloween and Thanksgiving hatches lived in my room till they were in their full first feathers! Never again!

Oh I also have this in the garage now.

1000005530.jpg

From what I've read, milk chocolate (like in most candy) is much less of a problem than dark chocolate or unsweetened baking chocolate. And of course the size of the dog matter too-- a big dog can stand more total chocolate than a small dog, although it might not be any more on a per pound basis.

So I don't deliberately give chocolate to dogs (exception: I'll let a dog lick out a bowl even if it has a little bit of chocolate inside), but I don't panic if a dog does get into some chocolate. I figure it's one of those balancing acts, trying to avoid major problems but recognizing that small amounts are not worth stressing about.
It is all about the dose. I once got in a panic when one of my cats swiped a chocolate drop. I went into the scientific papers to see what the LD50 (stands for lethal dose 59 - the dose at which half the test subjects died) was of chocolate in cats. Turned out it was more chocolate than I had in the house. One chocolate chip would even be noticeable!

So it is safe for them to eat those little bones on, say, chicken wings?

I have new ideas for their dinner for summer then... 🤔

What about sardines in water? Are those a good thing to give them? I want to chill some and throw them into the run during summer, but I was always afraid one of the dumdums would choke to death on a bone.
Mine love sardines. But get the ones in oil not the ones in brine (too much salt).

I've read of chickens swallowing whole mice (bones included), although I've never personally seen that.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
I have had a couple of mice eaten whole. It is not a sight for the squeamish! Both times it was because the possessor of the mouse did not want to share.
More typically there is a big chase to try and get the prize, and the mouse gets torn limb from limb in the process (also not for the squeamish) and then eaten in chunks (with the bones).

I have had a couple of mice eaten whole. It is not a sight for the squeamish! Both times it was because the possessor of the mouse did not want to share.
More typically there is a big chase to try and get the prize, and the mouse gets torn limb from limb in the process (also not for the squeamish) and then eaten in chunks (with the bones).
This. Mine fight over mice and scorpions

Back
Top Bottom