What’s the deal with you chicken people??

Umm they don’t lay rainbow eggs? Seriously I thought they did. I’ve seen pics ppl posting with their pastel colored eggs, hey guys look what my Easter Eggers laid! That’s disappointing.
They lay blue or green or pink or brown eggs, not AND apparently. I’m still disappointed, I can pronounce that one!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! The gentleman you talked to at the feed store has probably raised chickens for many years.

Do some reading on this site and you will be just as experienced as us!

If you have a question, post a thread about it! Lots of members will be more than happy to reply.
Ok I have a question. Can anybody pronounce these? Or do I need a linguist? Faverolles, Marans, Houdans, La Fleche, Crèvecœur.

Nooo these are called d’ fluccer duloopers or something crazy like that.
Mille Fleur d'Uccles

"Mille" is thousand (not million)
"Fleur" is flower
So "Mille Fleur" means "thousand flowers" (these chickens do have lots of dots on them.)

d'Uccle is telling where they come from: Uccle, a place in Belgium
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uccle

The only reason it doesn't make sense is because the name was brought into English without translating it. Otherwise, it is about as sensible as a Rhode Island Red (red chickens, originated in the state of Rhode Island.)

Honestly, I would love to just see a regular name for a chicken, Like if we find another chicken I wanna call it after its color or feathers and that's it!
Many are named for where they come from, or sometimes where they were thought to come from (Leghorn, Minorca, Ancona, Hamburg, Andalusian, Brabanter, Sussex, Orpington, Cornish, d'Uccle, Japanese, Polish, Delaware, Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Jersey Giant, Yokohama)

Many of them are not places we Americans are familiar with, which is why they seem odd to us. But it is no more strange than Newfoundland dogs, Persian cats, Jersey cows, Arabian horses, Dutch rabbits-- all of those are named for places.

Many of the variety names are pretty obvious: black, white, red, barred (has white lines across the feathers), laced (has black edges on the feathers, so it looks like a piece of black lace covering the chicken).

The last thing I want to name a chicken is "Kwebbledippledop Cemani Extravangantion."
For that, I like Silver Spangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben
(Silver not gold, Spangled tells how the color is arranged on the chicken, came from Appenzell in Switzerland, Spitzhauben actually names the breed for the distinctive crest of feathers on the head.)

Or Red Shouldered White Yokohama (they do have red shoulders and a lot of white in their coloring.)

Last edited:
Thank you! I know (from reading) WAY more about health and disease than chicken breeds. But nobody ever wants to talk that at random. Maybe next time someone goes off on their breeds I’ll just say, I don’t what you’re talking about, but let me show you some pictures of my chickens vents, now these vents are showroom new clean!
That’s way more important than chicken breeds anyway. But I have always found the breeds more interesting so I know more about that, lol.

Nooo these are called d’ fluccer duloopers or something crazy like that. Are there English copper Marans? Or German ones? Or just French?
Marans are French and if bred to the French Standard should just be called Marans, not French Marans.
The ones bred to the English Standard have clean legs.
Belgian bantams definitely have the worst names. 🥲

Most chicken suppliers start talking to you about the most random stuff.

"Hey, Do you need some bobos, Some hoo-has, Maybe if you're lucky we have some Doodasflipflops in stock."

And when you decide on a chicken they start questioning you like an interrogation

"Are you sure..? This chicken smells like garbage every Thursday and attacks anything yellow. It lays small eggs as well!!!"
LOL omg I laughed so hard, I spit out my coffee!!! “Smells like garbage every Thursday”!
Sometimes they are helpful, my first time the guy did let me know I was looking at baby turkeys not chickens lol.

Back
Top Bottom