What’s the best egg layer hatchery?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I’m wary of big time hatcheries or mainstream stores because of bad past experience. I bought from Meyer hatchery last year and 2/3 chicks were genetically weak and died. I assume it’s from over breeding and possibly inbreeding. I’ve heard other people who bought from there with the same exact experience and symptoms my chicks had.
Also in my area there are no layer chicks posted locally online. Craigslist and etc. only have polish frizzles for a while now.

To be specific I’d like to find a good source for sexed golden buff Orpingtons and cinnmamon queen / gold comet.

It's coming to the end of the season, so finding a Hatchery who is shipping chicks at this point is going to become hard.

I recommend Mt. Healthy Hatchery. I have never ordered directly from them, but outside of the chicks I've hatched, I got the most chickens that came from there, than anywhere else. The chicks usually does great, though the Easter Eggers seem to have some deformities such as crossbeak occasionally.

I’m wary of big time hatcheries or mainstream stores because of bad past experience. I bought from Meyer hatchery last year and 2/3 chicks were genetically weak and died. I assume it’s from over breeding and possibly inbreeding. I’ve heard other people who bought from there with the same exact experience and symptoms my chicks had.
Also in my area there are no layer chicks posted locally online. Craigslist and etc. only have polish frizzles for a while now.

To be specific I’d like to find a good source for sexed golden buff Orpingtons and cinnmamon queen / gold comet.
I too am wary of large hatcheries but have heard good things about "Cackle" from my neighbor who orders from them every spring.

I agree, you could ask around on here for someone local or a breeder who can ship chicks. I know some in the south are still shipping, but not for long, so whereabouts are you?

We ordered a couple of times from Cackle and it was a good experience.

I too am wary of large hatcheries but have heard good things about "Cackle" from my neighbor who orders from them every spring.
I was looking around here and the first post about cackle was a huge number of deaths with the chicks. So I guess it’s different with everybody with all hatcheries. I heard Myt. Healthy is great, but then also heard some chicks bred afterward from that line come out cross beak.

Almost all of mine in the past 10years have come from Privett. In terms of hatcheries they're not small but they're not a leading giant either. All I can say is so far so good. I've had zero chick deaths and only 1 that was a runt and died at about 2. I've gotten approx 30 chicks - 3/year. That's pretty good odds really.
Oh yeah, great odds! I can’t trust giants whatsoever. Thank you for the recommendation I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom