Wet Birds

PeaFan

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Hi - just got a pair of IB-SW (first time Pea parent). I have been reading posts here for awhile and it has helped me quite a bit - Great information.
Now I have a question..........My Peas have a great pen, small house inside the pen (big enough for the two) with a perch in it. They refuse to go in the house, even during rain and thunderstorms. I feel so bad for them, everything I have read said they hate rain and being wet. Is there a way to get them to know what the house if for? or get them to go in it? They are not comfortable enough with me for me to put them in there ( I would have to catch them first and am afraid of them get hurt during that process).
Backstory - I live in AZ and don't really need for them to be inside at night. They are penned - but both pace the door to the pen which looks into the patio/patio doors. They do spend most of their time either pacing in front of the door or laying down in front of the door looking in until I go out. Once I go into the pen, they act more "natural" - eating, walking around, the male displays (no train yet) and the female vocalizes. Once I leave the pen, they both go back to being in front of the door again. So when it rains, that is where they stand - I even ended up putting a larger collapse-able canopy inside to try to shelter them.

Maybe try moving their feed to the shelter to get them used to going in it. I would put the feed where they could still see it from outside but had to at least stick their head inside to get the food.

Hi KSKingBee - granted my terminology/abbreviation may not be correct, but they are India Blue Split to White.

Hi KSKingBee - granted my terminology/abbreviation may not be correct, but they are India Blue Split to White.
For the life of me I just couldn't figure that one out. IB/W
I agree putting the feed into the enclosure but coops are not a necessity for peafowl however a windbreak and cover will always be taken advantage of in nice weather. Most want to sleep under the stars even in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom