Welsummer pullet?

SouthernBelles

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 9, 2015
I was told this is a welsummer pullet. Is this correct? It does have a single comb and I believe around 5-7 days old?

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpeg
    IMG_0775.jpeg
    856.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0776.jpeg
    IMG_0776.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0777.jpeg
    IMG_0777.jpeg
    718.2 KB · Views: 6
There are several breeds that have chipmunk looking chicks, BUT if this is indeed a Welsummer it’s a pullet. Welsummers are an auto-sexing breed and look different at hatch, pullets have the eyeliner and a darker brown streak down their back while cockerels are lighter in color with no eyeliner.

There are several breeds that have chipmunk looking chicks, BUT if this is indeed a Welsummer it’s a pullet. Welsummers are an auto-sexing breed and look different at hatch, pullets have the eyeliner and a darker brown streak down their back while cockerels are lighter in color with no eyeliner.
Why is this the first time I've heard/read that?!

When I search it now.. I see plenty of indicators that would confirm your statement..

I highly question it still according to my current understanding.. or that would mean ALL partridge patterned birds would be autosexing. Welsumer aren't barred like any of the other autosexing breeds are... Just for discussion purposes.. I'm excited to learn something new.. if it's accurate!

I was told this is a welsummer pullet. Is this correct? It does have a single comb and I believe around 5-7 days old?
Other breeds with similar pattern and single comb can include brown leghorn, speckled Sussex, even Easter Egger and probably more.. but if it was sold as Welsumer.. then I don't see anything indicating otherwise just yet.

Cute baby! 🥰

Why is this the first time I've heard/read that?!

When I search it now.. I see plenty of indicators that would confirm your statement..

I highly question it still according to my current understanding.. or that would mean ALL partridge patterned birds would be autosexing. Welsumer aren't barred like any of the other autosexing breeds are... Just for discussion purposes.. I'm excited to learn something new.. if it's accurate!

Other breeds with similar pattern and single comb can include brown leghorn, speckled Sussex, even Easter Egger and probably more.. but if it was sold as Welsumer.. then I don't see anything indicating otherwise just yet.

Cute baby! 🥰
Correct, they are not sex-linked which has to do with barring as you say and doesn’t breed true. I have zero idea what makes Welsummers auto-sexing, I believe Cream Legbars are as well, I’m sure there are others 🙂

My welsummer I had looked exactly the same, but ended up as male. Was an oopsie from a hatchery.

Partridge, & Wildtype chick down patterns are completely different.

Duckwing can be autosexing based on darker, or lighter color in the stripes. It can be tricky sometimes with some males being slightly darker then others sometimes. Females usually stand out with a richer/darker brown stripe, & defined black markings, & eyeliner.

Correct, they are not sex-linked which has to do with barring as you say and doesn’t breed true. I have zero idea what makes Welsummers auto-sexing, I believe Cream Legbars are as well, I’m sure there are others 🙂
I didn't say sex linked I said autosexing.. the cream legbar are barred.

ETA: I see another reply that explains it well, Thank you for the new information! :highfive:

Partridge, & Wildtype chick down patterns are completely different.

Duckwing can be autosexing based on darker, or lighter color in the stripes. It can be tricky sometimes with some males being slightly darker then others sometimes. Females usually stand out with a richer/darker brown stripe, & defined black markings, & eyeliner.
I’m never sure about color vs pattern. Is partridge a color and duckwing a pattern? I thought Welsummers were partridge as well.

Back
Top Bottom