Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Most definitely! 🤣 But I have a big family. We could probably knock them out in about 3 meals if everyone gets 2. 😅

When we had quail... I cooked some up, but for supper brought a single roasted quail to the table on a platter. I started carving it up like a turkey, and asked who wanted the drumstick... as I cut off a quail drumstick... at that point... looking at the faces of my 5 boys... I lost it... and busted out laughing.

When i was able once more to breathe.. i went back to the kitchen and got the rest of the quail.
This is my McMurray bonus bird. I’m suspecting Blue Andalusian, and a few people on the breed and gender thread think so as well. I was planning on keeping one of my meat birds as my flock rooster, but I love the looks of this guy! I hope he stays nice…. If I keep him, I may make a meat flock and a layer flock. We’ll see. First I have to keep the mink out of my coops this fall and winter…

View attachment 3181484View attachment 3181486
I really like blue.

And Blue Andalusians are a nice breed, should have some good egg laying genetics.

Good Morning, Pond!
Happy Monday! A breezy, sunny, less humid day today. Maybe outside will be tolerable for a while.

No more baby chicks this morning, so I candled the 3 remaining eggs. The air cell in one is huge, but the contents of the egg are suspiciously liquidy. The air cell on another is much smaller, and I was fairly certain I saw veins. I didn’t see an air cell at all in the last one. It all looked dark inside. If nothing happens by tonight, I’ll put mama, chicks and eggs in a nest on the floor so the babies can find food and water. I’ll remove unhatched eggs tomorrow.

Good morning, Pond. Hope all is well. Sold some roosters this weekend. I don't always love the way people treat them - even if they are planning to eat them. Certain types of folks are a bit more rough on them than others. Sigh. I know it's cultural - but...
This why I have a hard time rehoming mine. Frankie hand raises these boys as lap birds.

I’m always trying to make sure they won’t end up in a ring & hoping the people who take them will be humane when they put them in the soup.

This why I have a hard time rehoming mine. Frankie hand raises these boys as lap birds.

I’m always trying to make sure they won’t end up in a ring & hoping the people who take them will be humane when they put them in the soup.
We just eat ours, but they are raised for that purpose, so they don’t become pets. I try really hard not to name my food, but sometimes I will name a bird that I plan on keeping around for a while.

We just eat ours, but they are raised for that purpose, so they don’t become pets. I try really hard not to name my food, but sometimes I will name a bird that I plan on keeping around for a while.
When my mom was little they always named their food. It was a pet until it was dinner. The best of both worlds I guess.

Back
Top Bottom