Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

The whole water crisis here is rough. Our water district has us all restricted to 50% usage, so, of course, every time we turn around, there's a new leak somewhere in the irrigation system...

Or, like last night, the dogs came running up on the deck all wet and muddy. What???
Apparently, in their quest to get a squirrel under the shed, they dug down and broke a small water line. What's worse is that water line was already shut off at another valve - yet was still spurting water everywhere! So, the valve has to be replaced and the water line.

Never ends...

Good late morning pond! It's been a rough couple of days. My absolute favorite cage of quail got opened last night somehow. And it is predator proof. So either I didn't close it well enough or someone else opened it. I'm missing 2 out of 3 of my favorite most gorgeous quail. But on a brighter note, I see my first cucumber (?) On my plants this morning!

So I'm thinking this is the roo throwing the melanistic type chicks. I had some hatch out Monday and all the solid black ones had fathered feet, seeing as they came out of welsummer eggs and I only have one rooster expressing feathered feet, stand to reason they're his I think.
Four that are definitely from Welly eggs, only two have black feet, skin and beaks.
IMG20220613212412.jpg

IMG20220613212714.jpg
IMG20220613212522.jpg
IMG20220613212613.jpg
IMG20220613212433.jpg

IMG20220613222446.jpg
IMG20220613222439.jpg

So I'm thinking this is the roo throwing the melanistic type chicks. I had some hatch out Monday and all the solid black ones had fathered feet, seeing as they came out of welsummer eggs and I only have one rooster expressing feathered feet, stand to reason they're his I think.
Four that are definitely from Welly eggs, only two have black feet, skin and beaks.
View attachment 3149386
View attachment 3149388View attachment 3149390View attachment 3149391View attachment 3149392

View attachment 3149387View attachment 3149389
Well... keep an eye on them... see if the dark ones are all female like @Pyxis Said. Pyxis... what do you think that rooster is carrying?

Also, today I have my youngest ever rooster crow. He's ten weeks and has a crow that would put some 4+ month olds I've had to shame.
(And yes, his comb is bloody cause he's about to let his teenage hormones get him in a world of trouble. )
View attachment 3149405View attachment 3149406View attachment 3149407View attachment 3149408
Wow! I would have guessed pullet... except for the tail coming in. No hackle feathers...

I love that speckled coloring. Very pretty.

Yikes! Be extra, EXTRA careful in Chicago.
I KNOW!!!! :eek:

I will try.

Mom and I grew up in Houston, which is in the top ten of most dangerous cities... which means we are familiar with such things and proper protocol, so we should be fine.

Well... keep an eye on them... see if the dark ones are all female like @Pyxis Said. Pyxis... what do you think that rooster is carrying?

Wow! I would have guessed pullet... except for the tail coming in. No hackle feathers...

I love that speckled coloring. Very pretty.
I will be. I'm pretty certain that older one is a pullet.

Haha, he was very clearly a cockerel from about 3 weeks old. His comb is massive. He's quite a good size himself for his age.

Isn't he gorgeous. Should bring good money just for color if I decide to sell him

Back
Top Bottom