Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Poor guy! Lucky you were home. Can we see pics of the offending spot?

He was on the right side of this. You can kinda see the hole he was digging.
3577B8C9-1A64-4DFF-9AA5-E9F09B00B7C0.jpeg

The problem isn’t just doing something to one, I have bunches of these things. Never had this issue, though I’ve only had the long tails for a couple of years. Their pen does get damp when it rains excessively, and the breed likes to roost, so maybe I just need to build totally new roosts….. or call it a fluke and doubt it will happen again.
8D9D1CE4-3E17-4B20-9267-DA25A8E2CD49.jpeg

Even my bantam cochins like these roosts.
D148139F-B670-44DE-AC6E-FC31AB5D8D2A.jpeg

He was on the right side of this. You can kinda see the hole he was digging. View attachment 2751816

The problem isn’t just doing something to one, I have bunches of these things. Never had this issue, though I’ve only had the long tails for a couple of years. Their pen does get damp when it rains excessively, and the breed likes to roost, so maybe I just need to build totally new roosts….. or call it a fluke and doubt it will happen again.
View attachment 2751817

Even my bantam cochins like these roosts.
View attachment 2751823
What about if you covered the screw heads with something flexible, like flaps of bicycle innertube? Would that solve the problem?

What about if you covered the screw heads with something flexible, like flaps of bicycle innertube? Would that solve the problem?

I think he got it caught in the joint, not necessarily in the screw. Maybe I could put a horizontal space between the branches so there are no crisp joints where it could get snagged.

He did have a piece of mud stuck on the end of the longest tail, which may have been the original culprit. It was surprising that I couldn’t even break the feathers to get it loose. I didn’t want to break them, but as I was pulling, the feathers weren’t even coming loose from his body. I had to untie it.

But that’s why they grow long, they never molt those out like other chickens, they just continue to grow and grow.

I think he got it caught in the joint, not necessarily in the screw. Maybe I could put a horizontal space between the branches so there are no crisp joints where it could get snagged.

He did have a piece of mud stuck on the end of the longest tail, which may have been the original culprit. It was surprising that I couldn’t even break the feathers to get it loose. I didn’t want to break them, but as I was pulling, the feathers weren’t even coming loose from his body. I had to untie it.

But that’s why they grow long, they never molt those out like other chickens, they just continue to grow and grow.
Those are nice! Very natural. It’s no wonder they like them. Would it be possible to lash the pieces together instead of screwing them?

Back
Top Bottom