Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

I'm not a huge fan of processing deer anymore.... I'm real good at it.
But I'm slow and meticulous.
If i get another one I'll have it done.
And most likely give it away.
I'm not interested in venison now.
I've got plenty.... Although I've been thinking about making some dry salami.
I'd be happy to take a deer to a processor & save the hassle & mess out in the cold, & I've done it, as recently as last season, but that makes for some very expensive meat, and not much of it by the time they discard so much of it. I took one to a processor years ago & everything I got back was in a single grocery bag.

Tomorrow is my 36th ... Wedding anniversary..... If anyone here knows Lazy Gardener it's hers tomorrow too.

Happy Anniversary! :clap
(I think LG has left BYC)

I'd be happy to take a deer to a processor & save the hassle & mess out in the cold, & I've done it, as recently as last season, but that makes for some very expensive meat, and not much of it by the time they discard so much of it. I took one to a processor years ago & everything I got back was in a single grocery bag.

We usually hang them in the fridge for a few days, quarter and process a section at a time. But we ended up wasting a quarter last year by not getting it cut up fast enough. Too much going on. :(

Pretty much what it is here too.
I know this much I'm sick of coughing a lung up.
My ribs hurt.... I pulled a shoulder muscle coughing.
Pulled a groin muscle.... And I have a headache.
Okay whining is over.
At least my lungs haven't tightened up.
Because the moment that happens my world comes to a screeching halt.
I broke 3 ribs coughing once. Misery. Hope you get better soon.

Happy Anniversary! :clap
(I think LG has left BYC)

We usually hang them in the fridge for a few days, quarter and process a section at a time. But we ended up wasting a quarter last year by not getting it cut up fast enough. Too much going on. :(
That's the only thing a processor has going for them; whatever you get back is wrapped, marked, & frozen hard. It takes us, with the help of SIL & BIL, most of a day to get all the usable meat deboned, cut up, packaged & labeled, plus whatever we grind up.

Morning Ponders!!!
I've been out (if I can call sitting in a comfortable chair in a heated box blind being "out" :oops:) several times, just watching what's going on. Haven't seen any shooters; wouldn't shoot one yet if I had. Crossbow hanging on the wall 3' behind me; haven't even loaded it yet. Son's coming in Saturday night after Thanksgiving to hunt the whole 2 week firearms season with me; I don't want to run everything off before he gets here. Truth be told, I don't like processing a deer alone anymore. I can; just don't want to. Ain't crazy about dragging one up the hill by myself, either. Been/is so wet here that if the ground wasn't frozen hard I'd get the truck or 4wheeler hung up, & I sure don't want that. Getting an older Kubota 4WD, but it ain't here yet, so I'll wait 'til I have help.
Our season begins Saturday morning. How is it you guys are processing by yourselves? Dh comes and gets me to help him drag it out. We hang it in the garage where he skins it before it freezes then it hangs for a few days. (we donate the hide) Next he quarters it. One quarter at a time is brought in, gets flopped onto the kitchen table and we have at it. Then it's my job to bag and label. Tenderloin for dinner of course, the rest out to the freezer. Clean up and repeat. (Usually the next day). Notice we don't cut thru the bones. Everyone around here does the "no boning" butcher method. All done easy peasy no hurry. When finished we put the ribcage and other scraps out in the middle of our field for the eagles. I can't imagine any females that actually live up here not knowing how to process a deer. Doubt we will process this year tho unless someone shares one with us. Pa's knees are shot and he's finally given up hunting himself, he just supports the boys when they come. (At least that's what he says so far)

Tomorrow is my 36th ... Wedding anniversary..... If anyone here knows Lazy Gardener it's hers tomorrow too.
Congrats on the anniversary. Aren't we fortunate to find spouses that could put up with us for so long? :cool: :p
Sorry to hear you're still fighting the cough. Hope it leaves you soon.

That's the only thing a processor has going for them; whatever you get back is wrapped, marked, & frozen hard. It takes us, with the help of SIL & BIL, most of a day to get all the usable meat deboned, cut up, packaged & labeled, plus whatever we grind up.
I don't think you even get meat from the deer you killed, just whichever one they grab.

I broke 3 ribs coughing once. Misery. Hope you get better soon.
An 85 y.o. lady DW knew at Church fell in the tub Sunday. Hospital said nothing was broken, just badly bruised. One of her "bad bruises" was two broken ribs, one of which punctured a lung, abdomen filled with blood, & she died yesterday, leaving behind a grown Down's Syndrome daughter she took care of.

I don't think you even get meat from the deer you killed, just whichever one they grab.
I've long suspected just that.
DW wouldn't have the foggiest notion how to process a deer, for one thing. She's great once it's skinned & quartered. She's not but 4'9", way out of shape, and had a bad knee up until this past August; no way could she help drag the dead weight of a decent deer up the hill. Hell, I have to stop half a dozen times myself to catch my breath.

Back
Top Bottom