Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

:smack Stop it :lau is that what you meant :confused: Oops my bad you said talk :oops: Nothing wrong with hatching in winter except roosters gonads shrivel up and drakes shed their penis and eggs freeze on the nest if the momma leaves them .It don't matter though . Cause they ain't firtile nohow And you don't need heat for chicks if you keep them in the freezer everybody know that :confused: So in a sense she is right ,:lau
:lau:gig:lau:gig
Thanks, K! I have snapped out of it. The problem is, she has already hatched them out in late fall, put them in the coop in sub-zero weather at 9 weeks without heat bacause she had read not to heat the coop and lost some. She didn't know it was going to get *that* cold...

:lau:gig:lau:gig
Thanks, K! I have snapped out of it. The problem is, she has already hatched them out in late fall, put them in the coop in sub-zero weather at 9 weeks without heat bacause she had read not to heat the coop and lost some. She didn't know it was going to get *that* cold...

Don't mean to be argumentative, but personally i think they should be fine at 9 weeks. :confused:
I have seramas younger than that doing fine.

Don't mean to be argumentative, but personally i think they should be fine at 9 weeks. :confused:
I have seramas younger than that doing fine.
What temps? Just a bit below 0? -20F like she had is pretty hard on them... I had 16 wk bantams that couldn't take -30F even for a night. Don't know if you remember but one almost died (and would have if I hadn't brought her in that night) and one lost multiple toes and all the skin off her feet. They were end of August hatches. They're fine this year.

Maybe the initial shock, if she didn't gradually reduce indoor heat first?

Yea, that could be a problem! I haven't looked up the thread. Again, should have just not commented. :(

What temps? Just a bit below 0? -20F like she had is pretty hard on them... I had 16 wk bantams that couldn't take -30F even for a night. Don't know if you remember but one almost died (and would have if I hadn't brought her in that night) and one lost multiple toes and all the skin off her feet. They were end of August hatches. They're fine this year.

That's pretty dang cold. And my mistake, my 9 week olds are bantam cochins with momma. My youngest seramas are 15 weeks, and still sleep next to momma too. They are so tiny, I forgot they were that old till I looked it up.

:oops:

We are around 33F this morning, and it's unreal the difference between that and sub-zero last week. :(

Back
Top Bottom