Weird small egg

Tinkey71

Songster
Nov 8, 2018
Florida
so I got a really weird small egg in my nesting boxes. I know I’ve heard that chickens lay small eggs in the beginning, but my chickens have been laying awhile and this is the first I’ve seen like this
It is also kind of bumpy

Attachments

• 568BB83C-BB12-49EE-BBF5-F1639A67D15B.jpeg
    568BB83C-BB12-49EE-BBF5-F1639A67D15B.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 20
You've got yourself a fairy egg or as I like to call them fart egg, even in older chickens it happens sometimes. My Black Sexlinks are over 3.5 y.o. I get them from them sometimes. It's nothing to worry about, some of them have no yolks, others have tiny pin points, I know some ladies that poke tiny holes in each end and blow out the contents rinse them out and use them in decorations, such as a little nest they create.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fart-eggs.929229/

starri33 is right on target. My chickens haven't laid fairy eggs, but my ducks occasionally do. It's easy to think that birds produce eggs like factories produce widgets, but even factories sometimes have little blips on the assembly line. I wouldn't worry at all about the tiny eggs -- but the first ones are a bit unsettling. I actually wondered if a stray wild bird had sneaked into my duck shelter when I found the first one.

@Callender Girl , I found it strange and kinda panicked with my first one, was thinking something was wrong, but I was and still kinda am a new chicken mommy, lol. I've gotten those shell-less eggs as well. Only two of those in the 3.5 yrs, I've been raising chickens. The eggs are slowly starting to get bigger from my new pullets, I have 8 more growing up, but I don't expect eggs from them till probably Sept.

starri33 is right on target. My chickens haven't laid fairy eggs, but my ducks occasionally do. It's easy to think that birds produce eggs like factories produce widgets, but even factories sometimes have little blips on the assembly line. I wouldn't worry at all about the tiny eggs -- but the first ones are a bit unsettling. I actually wondered if a stray wild bird had sneaked into my duck shelter when I found the first one.
Yeah - I had some interesting eggs so far in my hen adventures- I had weeks where I would get a HUGE double yoker - much bigger than my duck eggs. I also had a few eggs that were almost white even though RIRs typically lay very brown eggs- now this!
Just glad it isn’t a sign of a problem
They sure are interesting creatures

@Tinkey71 , they are interesting, I like just sitting out there with them, I find it relaxing. When my Black Sexlinks first started laying, I was getting double yolkers, haven't gotten any of those in a while, but the girls are over 3 now. I had one egg last month that I would have sworn a duck had laid, it was huge, we don't have ducks around here. lol

@Tinkey71 , they are interesting, I like just sitting out there with them, I find it relaxing. When my Black Sexlinks first started laying, I was getting double yolkers, haven't gotten any of those in a while, but the girls are over 3 now. I had one egg last month that I would have sworn a duck had laid, it was huge, we don't have ducks around here. lol
Here is a pic of one of my monster double yokers - that poor hen musta had a hard day!

Attachments

• 51B6548C-CFFA-428B-A54C-EB3D5EF8FFC4.png
    51B6548C-CFFA-428B-A54C-EB3D5EF8FFC4.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom