Weird sideways head/neck movement

Smouse

Hatching
Apr 29, 2018
Hi wondered if anyone could help.

I have recently got some rescue hens and one of them has started to do this weird sideways head/neck movement that lasts about 2 seconds but seems to be happening quite regularly during the day.

She seems quite happy in herself, foraging for food still and eating like a champ. I have wormed them all and her crop seems firm... but just not sure if it is a digestive problem or not or what?!

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like she is adjusting her crop. When they do it repetitively, there might be a problem, such as impacted crop or sour crop. Check it first thing in the morning.

Her crop was squishy but no smell from her beak. I have separated her and put her with water and grit, but no food and trying to massage the crop. Is this the best thing to do until her crop goes down?

Massage the crop several times a day. I would feed her some soft egg and a tsp plain brand name yogurt for probiotics. Give plenty of fresh water. Check it again in the morning.

It can take days for an impacted crop to resolve and sometimes they don't and surgery is necessary.
Regular massage and only very sloppy or liquid food and removing access to any fibrous material that can be eaten.... ie grass, straw, hay or shavings, is the first level of treatment. I've used vegetable oil but I believe solid coconut oil can be easily fed to them and helps to lubricate and break things down. Usually the impaction is a tangled mass of soggy strands like straw or grass.... If they have not had access to grass before, they sometimes binge on it and if it is too long, it gets tangled in the crop instead of passing on down the system. The tangled mass then acts like a sieve for anything else they eat causing solids to get caught up in it but liquids manage to slowly filter through. This caused the mass to increase in size and weight but the chicken gets thinner because the majority of nutrients are not passing through quickly enough.
If after a few days of crop massage (10mins 3-4 times a day) and oil and liquid feed it has not shifted, a stool softener (without stimulant) can sometimes help to break it up. I think you are looking for something with Docusate Sodium in it..... Dulcolax is a brand name. If a couple of days of that do not move it, then it may be time to consider surgery. It is not complicated and can be done at home by a competent person..... I have done it myself twice. It is however, very much a last resort. If you get to the stage of considering that option, PM(conversations) me, as I can give you some helpful tips as well as You Tube links for instructional videos which proved invaluable to me.
Hopefully you have caught her early enough. Good luck!

Barbara

The links in post #4 have many suggestions for treatment. I would seek vet treatment if possible, since crop problems can progress quickly. I never had a crop problem in the first 5 years of chickens, but every one I have seen since has eventually died from days to months later. My chicken’s problems are probably due to a secondary problem, such as internal laying or ascites. Gizzard blockage has also been seen with crop problems.

Back
Top Bottom