Weird egg laid this morning

Jessbfarmer

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
Bedford, Pa
Found this egg this morning thats lighter than usual and has weird circular indentation on it. Whats wrong with the egg/hen that laid it?

Attachments

• A8C34B3B-BEF5-41A6-B202-536CCC0B3F96.jpeg
    A8C34B3B-BEF5-41A6-B202-536CCC0B3F96.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 33
Do you know which of your hens laid it? If she is older than five ore six, age may have something to do with it.

If she's young and has been laying good quality eggs, temporary stress can cause this.

If she happens to have any respiratory symptoms, a chronic respiratory illness such as infectious bronchitis can cause shell anomalies.

Please fill out your profile on your account and especially your location as it can help us to better advise you.

I will do that. As for how old my hens are, they are all less than 6 months old so old age isnt a factor. We have 10 rhode island red hens and one silkie rooster, he is about a year or so old. We do have one hen that up until about a week ago had a pale comb and the comb was much smaller than her hen sisters. The comb is now getting bright red and almost the same size as the others. We get 8-9 eggs per day now. I was thinking maybe this was her first egg and it came out not so good because she was slower to develop than the others?

Hi and welcome to BYC. The eggnomaly your pullet laid is commonly called a slab-sided egg. Below is an article about various eggshell oddities. I agree with the others that it's nothing to be concerned about unless it happens frequently. I have many older layer hens, and have seen all the eggnomalies in the article. But they don't appear in the nest boxes very often, and so when they do, I think they are pretty cool!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ity-problems.65923/?page=6#ams-comment-512770

Found this egg this morning thats lighter than usual and has weird circular indentation on it. Whats wrong with the egg/hen that laid it?
I got one just like it this morning and my hands are Rhode Island reds

Attachments

• 1AEC5AB5-61BE-4892-B890-14BB36F6E191.jpeg
    1AEC5AB5-61BE-4892-B890-14BB36F6E191.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom