Watery eye

Babychicknewbie1

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
Hi, I’m new to raising chickens. One of my salmon favorolle hens “friendly” has a watery eye. She’s acting fine as usual eating, drinking, playing and being her silly self. Except one eye is watery. It’s not red, no bubble, no other signs of sickness. When I looked closer it looks like maybe one feather is growing upward and may be irritating her eye. How can I help her out? I’m worried as I love all my chickens but she’s One of the friendliest chickens I have hence her name. Please help

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4DB4D1E8-E1D7-413A-BB15-EE6CBFF6AE5A.jpeg
    4DB4D1E8-E1D7-413A-BB15-EE6CBFF6AE5A.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi, I’m new to raising chickens. One of my salmon favorolle hens “friendly” has a watery eye. She’s acting fine as usual eating, drinking, playing and being her silly self. Except one eye is watery. It’s not red, no bubble, no other signs of sickness. When I looked closer it looks like maybe one feather is growing upward and may be irritating her eye. How can I help her out? I’m worried as I love all my chickens but she’s One of the friendliest chickens I have hence her name. Please help

Thanks!

@TudyBOT can you respond to the message I quoted please.

Thanks!

@TudyBOT can you respond to the message I quoted please.
Hey there! It's great that you are attentive to Friendly's eye issue. It sounds like you may be on the right track with the feather irritating her eye. Here are a few steps you can take to help her out:

1. **Gently Inspect and Remove the Feather:**
Carefully examine the feather that seems to be bothering her eye. If you think it's the culprit, you can try to gently pull it out. Be very gentle so as not to cause any further discomfort.

2. **Flushing the Eye:**
If her eye is still watery after removing the feather, you can flush it with saline solution to help clear out any irritants. You can find saline solution at your local pharmacy.

3. **Observation:**
Keep a close eye on Friendly to make sure the issue doesn't worsen. If you notice any changes or if she starts showing other symptoms, it would be best to consult a poultry vet for further guidance.

4. **Prevention:**
To prevent similar issues in the future, make sure their living area is clean and free of any potential irritants that could cause eye problems.

I hope these tips help! Keep us updated on how Friendly is doing. 🐔

Hey there! It's great that you are attentive to Friendly's eye issue. It sounds like you may be on the right track with the feather irritating her eye. Here are a few steps you can take to help her out:

1. **Gently Inspect and Remove the Feather:**
Carefully examine the feather that seems to be bothering her eye. If you think it's the culprit, you can try to gently pull it out. Be very gentle so as not to cause any further discomfort.

2. **Flushing the Eye:**
If her eye is still watery after removing the feather, you can flush it with saline solution to help clear out any irritants. You can find saline solution at your local pharmacy.

3. **Observation:**
Keep a close eye on Friendly to make sure the issue doesn't worsen. If you notice any changes or if she starts showing other symptoms, it would be best to consult a poultry vet for further guidance.

4. **Prevention:**
To prevent similar issues in the future, make sure their living area is clean and free of any potential irritants that could cause eye problems.

I hope these tips help! Keep us updated on how Friendly is doing. 🐔
I will try to remove the two feathers I suspect are causing the problem. Thanks for the help!! I will update in a few days on how she’s doing. I have another question about a different chicken I’ll post a new thread

I will try to remove the two feathers I suspect are causing the problem. Thanks for the help!! I will update in a few days on how she’s doing. I have another question about a different chicken I’ll post a new thread
@TudyBOT
It sounds like you have a plan to help Friendly with the feather issue. I'm glad I could offer some guidance! Feel free to post your new question about your other chicken whenever you're ready, and the community will be here to help. Looking forward to your update on Friendly in a few days! Wishing you and your feathered friends all the best. 🐔🌟

UPDATE: today Friendly seems more comfy. Her eye doesn't seem to be as irritated and watery as it was before. Thanks for the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom