waterer getting butt kicked in coop.

annrich

Songster
12 Years
May 27, 2007
Western NY
Hey everyone. I don't know what kind of party is going on in our coop when the lights go out. Our waterer doesn't make it threw the night. We have moved it, hung it etc. We have wateres all over, but the coop one isn't doing so well. we put a heavy bowl in the coop so water is avail. I really like using the plastic waterers. They are easy to clean etc. Well you know the drill. Any advice?

Thanks,
Ann

Wow, that sounds like a pain! I just had to move my waterer, because it was too close to the food. The chicks would scratch around the food dish, and throw it right back into the water. I couldn't figure out WHAT THE HECK was going on.. until I watched them. Moved it to the other side of the brooder, and it's much MUCH better now. Although.. they are starting to roost on top, which stinks in the 'clean water' department.

Are they knocking it over? And more importantly, where's your invite to their little party??

Meghan

My chicks seemed to churn up the water too. Then I found a remedy.

I installed an 11 gallon water tank above where the actual plastic gravity fed watering unit sits. The water is always kept full because of the gravity flow and lasts a week or more for my 12 pullets. It sits on a cinder block on top of a piece of plywood with two perpendicular pieces of wood going down into the hole so it can't tip over.

It is really nice not having a coop full of water after the girls have been playing!!

Hi, I just posted on another thread also about this subject. I too am sick of cleaning out the coop. My chickens constantly knock over the waterer too! I am so tired of mucking out the soaking wet bedding! I'm going to the local feedstore asap and getting the hanging ones and hope they work...

Back
Top Bottom