Water slide for ducklings

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! Oh my gosh, look at how much they enjoy that, hehe! Where is this, I wonder?

If you look closely it looks like the ducklings are trying to peck something up above the slide before they slip off the edge.

If you look closely it looks like the ducklings are trying to peck something up above the slide before they slip off the edge.
They're being tricked, it's a feeding trough just behind the water jets. So I'm not sure if they're truly enjoying it, are just plain dumb, or are scared and trying to bundle together at the top?

There's a linked video here

While all of the slides seem to have the feeding station, many of the ducks aren't even going for the food, they just run up to the top to slide down.

Darn, I think you are right about the feeding station and perhaps them being tricked onto the slide. I didn't notice that in the first video I posted. However, I think LaurelC is correct that it seems that at least some of the ducklings are taking the ride for pure fun. I guess the only way to know would be to create your own and not put food at the top...but since I don't have ducklings, I will have to leave that experiment to someone else. However, I will say that when I let my 10 week old turkeys out to free range in the afternoon, most of the time instead of taking the easy and direct way out of the garage/barn, they go through this complex obstical cource of bikes, wheel barrows and scrap lumber and finish by sliding down a slick board that had slid halfway off the lumber pile. While they don't run around to do it again, they have all done it several times.

Anything is possible, and I adore watching animals having fun for the heck of it! I once watched several bison sliding down a hill onto a frozen lake. They slid down, bellowed, and ran back up the hill to do it again!

Back
Top Bottom