Watch out for yellow jackets!

Michael Apple

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Northern California
This time of year, yellow jackets are abundant in my area. I was reminded by Dawg about children's Benadryl recently. So if yellow jacket ground nests are around your property, keep some on hand. Eliminate nests with an effective pesticide if you find them. They will attack and sting with a nasty venom that can swell the tongue and trachea no matter where the bird is stung on the head. .5 cc of children's Benadryl, given orally with a syringe, minus the needle, for a mature LF hen can prevent death, especially in hot weather when birds are already a bit stressed. It is recommended not to give more than that amount, or give it more than once in a 24 hour period. I have a hen recovering now, and was glad my friend gave me a reminder.

This might be a stupid question, but how do you know it got stung if you don't see it happen? What are the symptoms?

Since most of the bird's body is feathered, they are protected with the exception of the head. In my instance I saw birds in the distance running around sporadically, and one scratching at her head. The eye closed and swelling began around it. The bird will open-mouth breathe, and breathing will become labored.

Glad you posted this as I have been wondering.
First summer with chooks and usually have a nest or two of yellow jackets (aka ground wasps) every year.

I use very hot soapy water poured down nest just before dawn to get rid of them...usually works good tho ended up using wasp spray one year for a nest on a hill with multiple egresses.

We usually have this problem around the first of August in Ohio, and they will build nests into the ground. You won't notice them when you cross the opening, but the second time they will come after you.I have been chased for very long distances by those little meanies when trying to spray a hole with wasp and hornet killer. I learned it's best to wait until almost dark when they have gone to sleep. After a day or two their nests open up showing a 6-8 hole in the ground. We've not had the chickens attacked so far even though the chickens are in the field where they are. A few years ago my husband ran over a nest in the ground cutting brush on the tractor, and was chased all the way back to the house. We pulled out 50 stingers or found the stings all over him. Then we went to the ER.

I know, aart. These devils are very aggressive too. I had to retreat 3 times in between hitting the nest last night. One of my hens is still recuperating.
I used a long stick to mark where the nest is with one end close to the opening during the day, then go out before dawn with a headlight and pour a good 2-3 gallons of very hot soapy water down the hole. They are least active before dawn especially if it's been a cooler night.

We usually have this problem around the first of August in Ohio, and they will build nests into the ground. You won't notice them when you cross the opening, but the second time they will come after you.I have been chased for very long distances by those little meanies when trying to spray a hole with wasp and hornet killer. I learned it's best to wait until almost dark when they have gone to sleep. After a day or two their nests open up showing a 6-8 hole in the ground. We've not had the chickens attacked so far even though the chickens are in the field where they are. A few years ago my husband ran over a nest in the ground cutting brush on the tractor, and was chased all the way back to the house. We pulled out 50 stingers or found the stings all over him. Then we went to the ER.
Skunks will dig up the nest and eat the larvae after you kill the adults.

They've chased me into the house and will cling to the dog on the way in...not fun!

Last edited:

Hah. I used to think they only opportunistically formed hives in vacant gopher holes. This is the first above ground nest of yellow jackets I've seen. I'd be mowing or weed-eating and all of the sudden they'd billow out of the ground just like your husband experienced in the past. They are not like wasps. They are much more aggressive. I've been mobbed by yellow jackets and the stings are very painful, swell, and itch for a few weeks. They don't detach stingers like honey bees do though. I used to keep bees and collect honey. I've kept Italian, Carniolan, and Caucasian honey bees. Even the most aggressive of the 3, the Caucasians, were not as aggressive as yellow jackets.

I used a long stick to mark where the nest is with one end close to the opening during the day, then go out before dawn with a headlight and pour a good 2-3 gallons of very hot soapy water down the hole. They are least active before dawn especially if it's been a cooler night.

Skunks will dig up the nest and eat the larvae after you kill the adults.

They've chased me into the house and will cling to the dog on the way in...not fun!

The hard part is getting close enough during the day to find the nest, hahaha. I knew it was beneath this log, and rolled it over with a rake at night and they still went after me at night. It was 85 here last night at 9 PM. I've used soapy water before and made it thick. It doesn't work as fast as Pyrethrum which emits a gas from the liquid, and you want to kill all those pupae in the nest. I used to have trouble with skunks harassing my bee hives once in awhile. I've heard they are immune to stings. I get a bad reaction from yellow jackets, so I know what you mean. You can run fast when you have a swarm of them after you
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom