Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Great news PEEPS ! ! ! ! ! T HI NOW HAS A CLOTHES WASHING MACHINE !

Toni ask me To say THANK YOU to all who helped.
I would also like to say thank you to all who helped. Once again THE WA PEEPS stepped up and showed how AWESOME they are.
And a Special Thank You to Chickens4gramma. See she is the one who was able to deliver the washer to Toni.
WA BYC peeps ROCK ! ! ! !

Do you all recall I told you one of my two year old hens was bothered in the nest and laid an egg from the highest roost? I saw her in the nest late in the afternoon but no egg - and then that night she laid an egg in her sleep.

Well - it happened again. Same hen. But this time, the egg didn't get colored?  It's our Jersey Giant - she lays plain brown eggs.

Here's the weird egg, next to a normal brown egg for comparison. This is the second one laid in the middle of the night from the same chicken, but not colored?

Weird. Any thoughts on why? Should I be on the lookout for anything with her?

The egg skipped the paint factory :)
No need to worry about the paint job, it happens some times.
I just wonder why she is laying on the roost...
:confused:

OK[COLOR=FF0000] Great news PEEPS ! ! ! ! ! T HI NOW HAS A CLOTHES WASHING MACHINE ![/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Toni ask me To say THANK YOU[/COLOR] to all who helped. I would also like to say thank you to all who helped. Once again THE WA PEEPS stepped up and showed how AWESOME they are. And a Special Thank You to Chickens4gramma. See she is the one who was able to deliver the washer to Toni. WA BYC peeps ROCK ! ! ! !
how terrific, thanks to all ... :ya :clap :celebrate

KMoran,

welcome-byc.gif

I'm somewhat close to you up on Whidbey Island, I'm just south of Oak Harbor on Penn Cove. *waves* So if you ever want to head up to the Everson Livestock Auction some Monday, do let me know, I'm happy to enable, feed the poultry addiction and talk poultry any time you like. I teach Chicken 101 at the Penn Cove Grange here, so I'm a good phone call when the bizarre happens and happy to set you up with local breeders and suppliers. :D

Welcome,
Tris

Dawn g  the white (on the brown egg) looks like a coating.  Does it rub off?  I'm wondering  it's some type of cells/ tissue  that are getting  rubbed off the hen's egg production line.Does she seem okay otherwise..  

ermmm

Just so everyone knows...... Since we have a lot of new people to chickens and this forum.

Eggs come in 2 Base colors: White and Blue

Pink to Dark Brown eggs are paint on white base shell
Mint to Olive eggs are a brown paint job on a blue base shell

Excerpts from people who know more then I do:

Most shell colors are the result of the pigments called porphyrins being deposited while the eggs are in the process of formation.
In the case of the Rhode Island Red, the brown pigment protoporphyrin, derived from haemoglobin in the blood, is what gives the shell its light brown colour.

Blue egg layers produces a pigment called oocyanin, which is a product of bile formation, and results in blue or bluish-green eggs. The color goes right through the shell, making the eggs difficult to candle during incubation.

fun test for those who need to see to believe....
Take a scrubby and scrub the outside of a brown egg...... It will turn white.

Yes CR you have WHITE EGGS that just went to the paint factory :plbb

OK.That is truly weird.......I clicked quote & then posted below your photos & my message was garbeled to say the least
In any event, what I wanted to tell you Dawn, is the brown egg you have is a Marans gene bird, and Jershies are from Javas
And brown layers do NOT lay those dark brown eggs !
The egg you showed as a comparison looks like a Marans egg to me, not a Jersey, no way !
Javas & Jerseys lay a light brown egg, the type I had shown you in my photos post.
IF you have a hen laying an egg silken covered as it seems, it is beginning lay, it is not an issue from fright.

erm I have to disagree :p

My Black Jersey Giant x Black Sexlink hen lays eggs darker then my Maran.

When she starts laying again I'll take photos :D

I was out redoing pens and let them out while she jumped on a rooste. She jumped off in front of me. She just laid there like that and cound not move an inch. I pulled the phone camera out and started snapping and she was real mad at me. I pulled her right out.

"I've fallen and I can't get up!"
Beautiful bird though, and glad she wasn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom