Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, this was interesting.

I still have the egg in the fridge (since it was broken in the fall going to feed it to the chickens) and when I rubbed on it - nothing happened. But when I got it wet and rubbed on it - you could see more of the the brown shell! Wonder if it went back up?
hu.gif
Or is this something else?

She does seem fine otherwise...except maybe a bit nest box shy (hates being interrupted!) Will hope for a normal egg tomorrow.

thank you! dawn

Dawn g the white (on the brown egg) looks like a coating. Does it rub off? I'm wondering it's some type of cells/ tissue that are getting rubbed off the hen's egg production line.Does she seem okay otherwise..

Dawn g  the white (on the brown egg) looks like a coating.  Does it rub off?  I'm wondering  it's some type of cells/ tissue  that are getting  rubbed off the hen's egg production line.Does she seem okay otherwise..  

after looking carefully at my EEs' eggs, the brown IS a coating over a white egg (just as my "green" eggs are actually a very thin coating over a pale blue egg and the "pink" egg is an extremely thin coating on a white one) -- take most any brown egg and use a ScotchBrite pad on it, and you will see ...

so your gal simply didn't "ink-jet" the egg the way she normally does, just as my Christina occasionally doesn't, so instead of a mint green egg, she produces a pale-blue-gray stone color egg

Wow - your post went wacky!
lol.png

I think the dark brown of the egg was just my lack of camera skills
hmm.png
This was our jersey for sure - it's much bigger than our other eggs. We do have marans but here is a photo of our current egg basket.

Top row:
Chubby Cheeks - EE
Juno - JG
Godiva - Maran from Illia - second egg since molt

Bottom row:
Godiva -Maran from Illia - first egg since molt
Chubby Cheeks - EE
Henrietta - deleware

OK.That is truly weird.......I clicked quote & then posted below your photos & my message was garbeled to say the least
In any event, what I wanted to tell you Dawn, is the brown egg you have is a Marans gene bird, and Jershies are from Javas
And brown layers do NOT lay those dark brown eggs !
The egg you showed as a comparison looks like a Marans egg to me, not a Jersey, no way !
Javas & Jerseys lay a light brown egg, the type I had shown you in my photos post.
IF you have a hen laying an egg silken covered as it seems, it is beginning lay, it is not an issue from fright.

Wow - your post went wacky!
lol.png

I think the dark brown of the egg was just my lack of camera skills
hmm.png
This was our jersey for sure - it's much bigger than our other eggs. We do have marans but here is a photo of our current egg basket.

Top row:
Chubby Cheeks - EE
Juno - JG
Godiva - Maran from Illia - second egg since molt

Bottom row:
Godiva -Maran from Illia - first egg since molt
Chubby Cheeks - EE
Henrietta - deleware

Hopefully I can pull off another post/quote..I have been checking my connectivity via the link Dawn sent me...and it is crap! When it isgood.S
o hard to get through...anyways,
Yes Javas & Jerseys lay a LT brown egg, which I showed ya before.The dark you
had for comparison is a marans.
And I will go back to bed now...ope ya'll doing ok I have been ill for 2 days...dam I will get over it, I am a fighter!
It does not help having this frustrating slow weird connection here !Wante
d to ask if anyone is going to Stevenson ?

OK no connectivity anymore & since I am sick I should be in bed anyways.......and did any of you see the PNW show catalog is out ?
Wow, his is so weird...sometin=mes I type & it is minutes befoe=re..never mind, goodnight peeps I am back to bed rest!!!!!!!!!!!!
frow.gif

You'll have to tell that to Juno! She doesn't know!
lol.png

(PS - I really think it was the lighting for my camera shot - they comparison is a light brown egg! Looks a lot like the ones you get at the...gasp...grocery store!)

Jerseys will not produce a dark brown egg
They will give you pinkish/lite brown
wink.png

Hopefully I can pull off another post/quote..I have been checking my connectivity via the link Dawn sent me...and it is crap! When it isgood.S
o hard to get through...anyways,
Yes Javas & Jerseys lay a LT brown egg, which I showed ya before.The dark you
had for comparison is a marans.
And I will go back to bed now...ope ya'll doing ok I have been ill for 2 days...dam I will get over it, I am a fighter!
It does not help having this frustrating slow weird connection here !Wante
d to ask if anyone is going to Stevenson ?

Great looking eggs! My Wyandottes lay brown eggs too but they would be considered more of a medium brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom