Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
New member/1st post and new chicken owner here. We just got our gals sunday.
We're in Shoreline just off 165th and would love to meet some fellow chicken ranchers in the neighborhood.
Here's a pic of the girls getting acquainted with their new digs:
571838163_507c270789.jpg

The one I know to be a buff orpington (?) (pauline). I think one (all the way on the right) is a arucana ("Skyed" named by my son Sky) and I think the other (in the back) is a red shaver (boyd).
Pauline is totally tame and happy to be picked up and, so far, the other 2 won't let you near them.
Their coop is 4x4 ft x 5 ft tall with 3 nesting boxes, a window and a skylight. Their run is L shaped 10x3 ft covered and 15 x 3 ft "open" (bird netted). Does that sound like reasonable space? Do I need more covered outside area?
I "winged" (haha) the coop construction but I haven't had any complaints yet.
smile.png

Hi fellow Washingtonians I'm in Everson in Whatcom Co. 20 mins from Bellingham. Anyone going to the Lynden fair this fall?
I have a flock of 15. 3 buff orps, 4 rhodies, 2 araucanas, 2 sexlinks, 2 blacks australorps, 2 barred rocks. 2 west highland terriers & 1 cockapoo.
feldon

Hi, feldon. You're the closest member I've yet identified. I'm in Birch Bay. I am planning on going to the fair, just need to figure out when it is. I'm new to this area and have never been. I assume there are chickens?
smile.png

Quote:
Nope. It looks interesting, but geared for tiny flock raisers
smile.png
I know some people involved in it must have spent tons of money on their fancy coops for three hens! Probally more than I've spent on a few hundred birds over the last 10 years!

Hi Feldon and Biretta,

I live in Bellingham off of Mt. Baker Highway. I currently have 30-some Araucanas. I signed up to enter some of my pullets in the Lynden fair this year, but they got so beat up by all the young cockerels (most of whom are due to be butchered by the end of this month :mad:) that I had to withdraw them.

If you guys want to enter some birds in the fair, you can do it online. Go to www.northwestwashingtonfair.org, click on "the fair" (top menu bar), and then on "premium book" (secondary menu bar). That should give you all the info you need!

Though I won't be showing any birds, I will certainly be a frequent visitor of the poultry barn.
cool.png
I have long red hair and will probably have a baby on my hip.
roll.png
Hope to see you there!

Last edited:
HI! I live in Granite Falls, WA 15 miles East of Everett!

Currently I have a 16 week old salmon favorele rooster that needs a home, if anyone is looking for a gorgeous rooster. Craigs list posting is http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/grd/383978828.html

We
have an asst of chickens this year! Next spring I'm hoping that dear hubby will build me a small coop just for a couple silkies and maybe polish. They're OH SO CUTE! But I'm afraid my other girls will beat them up!
lol.png

So, when next spring comes - anyone know where I can look? I don't want to mail order chicks. Granite Falls, Everett and Marysville co-op feed stores don't usually order silkies and polish just the standard popular breeds.

The chicken coop tour sounds nifty! I didn't know about it til just now, I missed it. Drats! :-D

-Jamie

I got my first two silkies from a breder who is no longer in business. Then I got 6 silkies from the Bothell feed store (no so great customer treatment there) and only got one girl!!! Out of now 11 silkies... I have had only one female!!! What luck is that! I know for a fact that Monroe Farm and feed (Highly recommended family business) gets orders of both silkies and polish... They sell SOOO fast though. They seriously get tons of chicks. Huge variety too! I missed their order of both silkies and guineas this year by a few hours each! They were gone just like that!

I sell black silkie chicks and hatching eggs. I actually will be having some go into the bator Monday! They are pet quality birds though. Alex bought three from me. As long as my one silkie girl survives the winter, I'll be selling more silkies in the spring too. I find my standards and silkies can cohabitate. I do have smaller runs for specific breeding groups though. That's how I make sure I can hatch pure silkies and not crosses from them :p

I only go to the Everett co op to get feed and DE! They do sell DE! For specialty chicks I go to Monroe. Good luck!

Last edited:
No way! Everett Co-Op sells food grade DE!? Is it the white powdery stuff, or is it with the volcanic ash mixed in?

I will remember monroe for next year! Get my claws in their order books and not let go until I get a couple! I'll keep in check with you too! Thanks!
smile.png

Hi,

Just wanted to say "Hello" to all the new chicken lovers. I think it is interesting to see where everyone is from. We live just outside of Ephrata. We are fairly new to Washington, but love it! I have learned so much from this Forum. It has been real nice to read all the different postings.

Hi Everyone! I am also a resident of Shoreline. Freak out Jackson- what cross street are you? I live right off 149th. I am in the early stages, planning our coop and clearing out space for the run. I envy you guys in more rural areas, we have to worry about neighbors and set backs and then limit ourselves to only 3 hens! I am so anxious to get started, I just want it to happen right now, but unfortunately there is ivy to be removed and areas to be prepared. Hopefully we will have hens by the fall. I will probably get laying hens from a friend who has too many right now. At least we will start with something right?
As far as hens vs. roosters in the city, most of the ordinances don't specify sex, but my understanding is that if you have a noisy rooster and a neighbor who does not like it, they can complain based on the local "noise ordinance" laws. Anyways, I am glad that I found this site and especially a thread devoted to some people in our neck of the woods.
P.S. Will anyone here be attending the Jefferson County Fair in Port Townsend? I can't quite tell when the Poultry events will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom