WARNING, PIC OF DEAD EMBRYO ?Can anyone help determine What day did I loose it.

tjo804

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Cedar Creek, Texas
We are at day 16. This embryo was moving in the egg, but when I candled day 14 no movement. I traced the dark not moving spot in the egg on she'll with a pencil. It did not move or grow. The blood ring looked darker today

As I am trying to learn, I opened the egg the embryo was dead but I am trying to figure out

1 if there is a noticeable cause of death

2 about what day it died / failed or quit.

Can you help?
It was a Silkie so the black is not feathering but it appears to have some slight feathering.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

It really could have been a variety of things why it didn't go to full term. Sorry you lost your little baby. It is always hard to watch them start growing and then suddenly stop. It could have been humidity, temp. and/or other reasons. I wish I could help more, but to me it is really hard to say. I can't really tell from pictures, but it looks like it has a defect with it's beak. I'm not sure you know about if humidity is too high they can also drown. Chicks need to loose a certain amount of water through the incubation period.

Thank you for the support. I really appreciate it

I have hatched chicks before, but if they stopped I never opened them to try to figure it out. But I do enjoy the hatching process and want to continue doing it. But I also feel like if I am going to play dr. I need to educate myself. As hard emotionally as it was for me to open the egg I did. Oh to me he is perfect! But I will look closer and more objectively at his beak. Thank you

Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Should I be looking at the umbilical or yolk or something else?

Or is this like a human miscarriage where I will not know the answer?
It’s really hard to pinpoint what went wrong when the embryo dies in early incubation. I know you hear the term “eggtopsy” to see what went wrong but that can usually only give clues if the chick dies in late incubation or at hatch time. Once the chick is fully developed and dies and you open the egg you can check for deformities, position, and the amount of fluid in the egg. These can all give clues as to why the chick developed all the way but did not hatch. As for them dying in the first or second week of incubation, there is no way to know why they quit. If you were hatching a few times and you noticed that a lot of your eggs were quiting early, in the first or second week, then you could try to pinpoint what you were doing or what was going on with the eggs that would be causing this. Otherwise it’s pretty common to loose a few in the first weeks. That’s why most Hatcher’s don’t count their hatching numbers (their hatch rate) until lockdown. The eggs that make it to lockdown will determine the overall percentage that hatch. Not the number of eggs that were originally set.

It’s really hard to pinpoint what went wrong when the embryo dies in early incubation. I know you hear the term “eggtopsy” to see what went wrong but that can usually only give clues if the chick dies in late incubation or at hatch time. Once the chick is fully developed and dies and you open the egg you can check for deformities, position, and the amount of fluid in the egg. These can all give clues as to why the chick developed all the way but did not hatch. As for them dying in the first or second week of incubation, there is no way to know why they quit. If you were hatching a few times and you noticed that a lot of your eggs were quiting early, in the first or second week, then you could try to pinpoint what you were doing or what was going on with the eggs that would be causing this. Otherwise it’s pretty common to loose a few in the first weeks. That’s why most Hatcher’s don’t count their hatching numbers (their hatch rate) until lockdown. The eggs that make it to lockdown will determine the overall percentage that hatch. Not the number of eggs that were originally set.

This was helpful, thank you

Back
Top Bottom