Wanting hens in Kansas City

maroongrad

Chirping
Feb 16, 2021
I got a mix of hens and turns out five lay brown eggs along with our single olive egger. Does anyone in the KC area have laying-age or near-laying-age or near-end-of-laying age colored egg layers? Green, blue, pink, peach (cemani and silkie color), and even white would be nice. Doesn't have to be a heavy-laying hen, but a couple eggs a week would be nice. I like to be able to tell which hens are laying and right now I can't. I would be willing to swap out a few hens for new ones too and reduce my brown-egger population :) I'm in Kansas City just south of Raytown.

Hi - I'm just east of KC, though I don't have any colored-egg layers at the moment. Well, maybe my Bresse girls; their eggs are a light, creamy color between white and brown. They're not available, though - sorry! My best suggestion, if you don't find some hens, is to catch the "chick days" coming soon to the feed stores, like Tractor Supply and Feldman's. Pick up a few chicks of whatever varieties you can find. Check this article for which chickens lay which colors:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-chicken-breeds-that-lay-colored-eggs.77375/

Hi - I'm just east of KC, though I don't have any colored-egg layers at the moment. Well, maybe my Bresse girls; their eggs are a light, creamy color between white and brown. They're not available, though - sorry! My best suggestion, if you don't find some hens, is to catch the "chick days" coming soon to the feed stores, like Tractor Supply and Feldman's. Pick up a few chicks of whatever varieties you can find. Check this article for which chickens lay which colors:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-chicken-breeds-that-lay-colored-eggs.77375/
Thanks! We'll be doing that, but I'm hoping to add a few adult hens now rather than the several month wait for eggs. If you do want to find a home for an adult Bresse that's one of the breeds I'd happily take because Bresse! We got our current back from TSC and I am hoping to add a grown hen or three. It's too cold to add babies and I don't want to wait for more girls if I don't need to :)

Thanks! We'll be doing that, but I'm hoping to add a few adult hens now rather than the several month wait for eggs. If you do want to find a home for an adult Bresse that's one of the breeds I'd happily take because Bresse! We got our current back from TSC and I am hoping to add a grown hen or three. It's too cold to add babies and I don't want to wait for more girls if I don't need to :)
You could try searching for “local chicken hatcheries near me” in Google Maps. Some sell half-grown or even started pullets. I recently found two eight week old birds that way. Or search for “chicken that lay (insert color) eggs”, pick a breed or two, and then look for “(insert breed) pullets for sale”. You should come up with some farms that specialize in that breed and may have half-grown hens available. They might have to be shipped though which can be expensive. I ordered a 10 week old Jubilee Orpington from Illinois and the total cost was around $100.

This farm is where I got Jenny the Jubilee Orpington; they have several breeds that are available as started pullets and lay blue eggs.

Hope this was helpful! I attached a picture of Jenny just because…:D

Attachments

• IMG_4392.jpeg
    IMG_4392.jpeg
    850.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom