Walnut Hollow Farm

In the Brooder
May 14, 2020
Hello! My name is Meagan Engelgau and I guess you could say I’m getting reacquainted with chickens. I grew up on a farm in Northern Virginia raising organic produce, and we had Rhode Island Reds. My grandpa is a wealth of chicken knowledge, and he just told me that HIS grandma, my great great grandma, incubated and raised 500 chicks a month in her basement to help support the family when my grandpa was growing up. So I guess I wanted to follow in her footsteps, even before I knew I did! I already live on an organic farm with my husband. 320 acres in the hills of Tennessee. I’ve been throwing around ideas to make a little extra money, and I am naturally a homesteader personality type where I want to raise everything for free, meaning that somehow everything on the farm pays us back in some way. That’s why we got chickens last year, or rather a good friend gave us a broody hen and 8 chicks. I initially just wanted some eggs for us to eat, and my husband who grew up in town was just scared they’d be too much work and tie us down... one year later, we are in love! It’s been so interesting and fun! We are ready to expand. And that’s when my husband suggested I sell the eggs/hatching eggs/chicks to pay us back for the expense of chickens and make a few bucks. AND IT’S TAKEN OFF FROM THERE! I have 56 chicks coming the first of June. 30 are dual purpose for meat(I also purchased a Brinsea incubator to hatch our own “ free” meat chickens from this stock) and the other 26 are to expand and diversify my backyard organic, pasture raised flock! I should get all colors of eggs and beautiful colorful hens and roosters as well.... HERE GOES! If anyone has words of wisdom on chickens as a small business or on incubation/ brooding, don’t hesitate to share💝 I also would really like to get involved with NPIP, I’m wondering how hard is it, are they hard to get along with or would they be a helpful asset? Can’t wait to get to know the community better! I also have a chicken specific Instagram and would love to connect there as well: walnut_hollow_farm_tn

Hello! My name is Meagan Engelgau and I guess you could say I’m getting reacquainted with chickens. I grew up on a farm in Northern Virginia raising organic produce, and we had Rhode Island Reds. My grandpa is a wealth of chicken knowledge, and he just told me that HIS grandma, my great great grandma, incubated and raised 500 chicks a month in her basement to help support the family when my grandpa was growing up. So I guess I wanted to follow in her footsteps, even before I knew I did! I already live on an organic farm with my husband. 320 acres in the hills of Tennessee. I’ve been throwing around ideas to make a little extra money, and I am naturally a homesteader personality type where I want to raise everything for free, meaning that somehow everything on the farm pays us back in some way. That’s why we got chickens last year, or rather a good friend gave us a broody hen and 8 chicks. I initially just wanted some eggs for us to eat, and my husband who grew up in town was just scared they’d be too much work and tie us down... one year later, we are in love! It’s been so interesting and fun! We are ready to expand. And that’s when my husband suggested I sell the eggs/hatching eggs/chicks to pay us back for the expense of chickens and make a few bucks. AND IT’S TAKEN OFF FROM THERE! I have 56 chicks coming the first of June. 30 are dual purpose for meat(I also purchased a Brinsea incubator to hatch our own “ free” meat chickens from this stock) and the other 26 are to expand and diversify my backyard organic, pasture raised flock! I should get all colors of eggs and beautiful colorful hens and roosters as well.... HERE GOES! If anyone has words of wisdom on chickens as a small business or on incubation/ brooding, don’t hesitate to share💝 I also would really like to get involved with NPIP, I’m wondering how hard is it, are they hard to get along with or would they be a helpful asset? Can’t wait to get to know the community better! I also have a chicken specific Instagram and would love to connect there as well: walnut_hollow_farm_tn
Welcome to BYC! I love your story! So very special you are carrying on Grandma’s family business in a sustainable, healthy and fun way! Good luck to you!

Welcome to BYC! I love your story! So very special you are carrying on Grandma’s family business in a sustainable, healthy and fun way! Good luck to you!
Thanks so much! It’ll be an adventure I’m sure. Did you follow me on Instagram? I just realized when I read about your valley bulldogs that you are probably @wilsonthevalley? If not, totally disregard lol. Thanks for the encouragement:)

Back
Top Bottom