Waiting for the first egg...

jjhere

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 29, 2010
Smidge north of Seattle
We have four pullets, 16-17 weeks old. Their combs and wattles are getting really red. I know it's still a little early, but what other signs of imminent egg-laying should I be on the lookout for?

We typically let them free-range during the day. We've got the nest boxes all ready to go, but how do we go about encouraging them to use those rather than hiding out in a bush somewhere to lay their eggs?

So looking forward to that first one...a lot like waiting for a pot of water to boil!

smile.png
Julie

At 18 wks some of the hens were doing the song and my wife got tired of getting cut up by the briars looking for eggs. They went into lock-up and at 19wks 3 days we had an egg. Today at exactly 20wks we got 2 more. We have Barred and Buff Rocks. I know that a Buff is laying 'cause she was in the box when I collected the 1rst. A half hour later the 2nd. They also started reddening up at 16 and 17 wks. Then the bodies started rounding out at about 17 to 18. Some are still rounding, total of 23 hens.

Last edited:
i have 3 pullets, 1 brahma, 1 andalusian, and 1 campine i got my 1st egg the other day, but before she layed I had told my mom they were going to lay soon, and that the andalusian looked ready to start laying even if she still is a lil small, the brahma is larger and getting very round and seems to be getting bigger every day, so I hope she will lay soon. the campine just doesn't look ready to lay yet she is still pretty pale in the face. all are 20 weeks old.

Our Barred Rock pullet layed her first egg yesterday. (
big_smile.png
) She was born April 12 or 13, and her comb turned red a few weeks ago. She laid her second egg today and we were right outside watching her scratch around in the nest box and then come out proud as can be
big_smile.png
The rooster on the other hand was pacing under the coop looking nervous.
cool.png

The 4 Golden Comets are the same age as the BR and are not far behind, one bright red for a couple of weeks, two others bright red this week and just one of the girls left with a pink comb. I'm guessing we'll see two eggs in the box in a week or two
smile.png

well yesterday was my day off, so I stayed around and watch my girls behaviour wanted to see at what time who was laying, My adult bo has started laying earlier during the daybetween 11-12, smokey and jodie my campine and (andalusian=smokey) seem to be buddying up smokey layed down in the sun and stretched out jodie followed suit it was funny to watch, so the 2 took a walk into the coop did a little rummaging around then jodie came out, smokey was in the nest for a good hour quiet as could be. she finally came out leaving an egg. then jodie returned to the nest sat in there cooing purring clucking not loud just chirping away to herself. and I was thinking wow she must be the 1 who left that tiny egg the other day. well you know how shocked I was when I looked in after she finally got out and to my surprise there was nothing there lol. I guess practice makes perfect she seems to know she should be laying and where to go just not what to do lol.

11 (4 RIR, 4 Austraplorps and 3 Aurcanas) hatched April 1or 7th (can't recall exactly!) and still waiting here! Not so patiently.
wink.png

I have 14 hens - all about 19 weeks old. I am getting two eggs a day. I have seen a Barred Rock and a Black Sex Link lay - I suspect more are laying - just not regularly. More are looking ready - going to sit up there today and try to see who's laying today and tomorrow. Oh - the impossible wait....

Back
Top Bottom