Vitamin deficiency

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone-
I think I have a vitamin deficiency/niacin deficiency problem with at least one of my goslings. I was so proactive watching them like a hawk and even got on BYC to get everyone’s input to make sure I was doing everything possible to make sure my babies were healthy and on right track. They are on flockraiser crumbles and I put the electrolyte packet in their water with the occasional nutritional yeast flakes in their food. I saw a few posts on here about the vit b complex by durvet I believe and I’m running to tsc first thing this morning to get it while it’s on shelf. They also had the liquid b12 I wonder if I should get as well? I do have some small syringes I think and would like to give in mouth if possible. They make such a big mess with their food and water that I’m having to replenish daily so it’s hard to tell if they are getting enough of the nutritional yeast. I posted a picture to get anyone’s feedback and more or less confirmation that unfortunately I’m right about their condition. It really wasn’t noticeable to me until yesterday.☹️ I’m so mad at myself and don’t want to lose another bird if I can help it. Sorry my post is long. Figured I should give as much info so y’all know what to advise. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810.2 KB · Views: 144
So couple of things, what makes you think they have a vitamin deficiency? Are they wobbly? Has another gosling already passed? And are you putting those electrolytes in their water constantly? It's not meant to be used as a 24/7 supplement, just a boost. Also looking at their setup, they need water deep enough to clean their nares; I've found they eat better when it's a mash that's served in like a rectangular tupperware. Totally right though, they are very messy as babies, but being so cute helps make up for it.

Using a syringe is hard enough with an adult bird, but on a baby I'd be hesitant to do so. Putting the B12 into their water or mixed in with food is enough for them.

So couple of things, what makes you think they have a vitamin deficiency? Are they wobbly? Has another gosling already passed? And are you putting those electrolytes in their water constantly? It's not meant to be used as a 24/7 supplement, just a boost. Also looking at their setup, they need water deep enough to clean their nares; I've found they eat better when it's a mash that's served in like a rectangular tupperware. Totally right though, they are very messy as babies, but being so cute helps make up for it.

Using a syringe is hard enough with an adult bird, but on a baby I'd be hesitant to do so. Putting the B12 into their water or mixed in with food is enough for them.
I’m not crazy about their setup but all I can do for now.
I clean it everyday and put them in supervised pen to stretch out and pick at grass if want to. I thought the same thing about the water container but if I put in big bowl they would just get in it and possibly dump it and then would be a soggy mess which I wouldn’t think would be good either. I will look into doing something different about their water. As for what makes me think possible vit deficiency-one looks a little bowed at the hips and walks kind of clumsier than the other. I could be completely wrong and am hopeful I am but would rather be cautious and make sure they have enough vitamins. Thank you for your suggestions.

For their water if you take like a sour cream container and cut a whole in the lid, they can’t climb in or splash around. You’re right there’s no harm in being cautious, just don’t want to overdue it on things like electrolytes. Getting the vitamin b complex and adding it to their food making a mash, but giving them just normal water is a good step. Have they had any time to swim in the bath? Great way to exercise their legs and build up strength.

For their water if you take like a sour cream container and cut a whole in the lid, they can’t climb in or splash around. You’re right there’s no harm in being cautious, just don’t want to overdue it on things like electrolytes. Getting the vitamin b complex and adding it to their food making a mash, but giving them just normal water is a good step. Have they had any time to swim in the bath? Great way to exercise their legs and build up strength.
ok-will try the cutout idea. I did the electrolytes every other fillup but am doing more just plain water. I do let them swim in the lukewarm bath. They don’t seem too ambitious about it but I do that for them anyway.

I gave both babies about 1/2 tsp of liquid b12 orally this morning. I have them outside for a bit sunning and they both actually look good but still have concerns about the one that I thought has a small vit deficiency issue. By a couple of people’s reactions they don’t seem to agree so maybe I’m wrong and being paranoid. If so I apologize. The same one doesn’t stay up very long and keeps laying down which makes me think something is up but don’t know what. I tried to get a good pic of its form. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 4A64C82A-500D-41B2-8679-F9C0083E2A90.jpeg
    4A64C82A-500D-41B2-8679-F9C0083E2A90.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
My thought is dont over love your babies there adorable. And thank you for loving them. There standing on grass ( favorite food) Make sure your careful about what treatments you give the grass you let them graze on. If there not digging up the ground yet to get it give them grit to digest the grass dont make them eat it just offer it. Flock raiser is a good food just add a sprinkle of brewer or nutritional yeast to it. Just lower there protein when they come into feather if there on pasture thats not a problem they will do it by themself s...

My thought is dont over love your babies there adorable. And thank you for loving them. There standing on grass ( favorite food) Make sure your careful about what treatments you give the grass you let them graze on. If there not digging up the ground yet to get it give them grit to digest the grass dont make them eat it just offer it. Flock raiser is a good food just add a sprinkle of brewer or nutritional yeast to it. Just lower there protein when they come into feather if there on pasture thats not a problem they will do it by themself s...
Ok-thank you.

I don’t raise them myself but a friend does
She told me once her goslings need more niacin then the ducks do
I add 1 tbs nutritional yeast to 1 cup feed till 12 weeks with my ducklings
Every time
If this is a niacin issue it’s recommended with ducklings to give 1 ml durvet vitamin B compex over a small treat or by syringe
Once a day for a few weeks along with nutritional yeast
Never add it to the water as there is no way to know if that baby is getting the correct dose

I don’t raise them myself but a friend does
She told me once her goslings need more niacin then the ducks do
I add 1 tbs nutritional yeast to 1 cup feed till 12 weeks with my ducklings
Every time
If this is a niacin issue it’s recommended with ducklings to give 1 ml durvet vitamin B compex over a small treat or by syringe
Once a day for a few weeks along with nutritional yeast
Never add it to the water as there is no way to know if that baby is getting the correct dose
I have not been able to find the durvet vit b complex locally. I got the liquid b 12 from tsc and am giving them about 1/2 tsp for couple of days orally. I don’t like putting anything in their water for the reason you said. I’m am still trying to get the vit b complex anyway to have on hand. Tsc did have the durvet vit and electrolyte powder but you put it in their water. I sprinkle nutritional yeast over their food every time they need feed.

Back
Top Bottom