Vicious 1 year olds

The coup/house is two level. We turned our children's old play structure into a space for them. The top level is approximately five by 10. The lower level is the same. The run is about 10 by 20. Our yard is considered approximately a third of an acre according to the county. The three new birds have been outside and they have been exposed to each other but they do not live in the coop or run with the three adult hens yet.

The three new birds have been outside and they have been exposed to each other but they do not live in the coop or run with the three adult hens yet.
Wait... now I'm confused. I thought the flock was 3 birds total. It's 6 birds? Did this start when you started introducing chicks/pullets to the hens? If so, how was the exposure handled, and how did the adult birds react?

Also while 10x20 is an ample run space for 3 (or 6) birds, your run is pretty open devoid of clutter from what I can see. You could use more clutter/hiding spots to help break up the space and provide cover to a bullied bird. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140

Just because birds have been raised together doesn't mean they'll get along for life.

Has anything changed lately, like feed, schedule/routine, bird went broody, etc?

Any photos of your set up? How long do they free range every day?
Posted photos... hopefully correctly. They range outside for about 3-5 hrs a day in nice weather.

Wait... now I'm confused. I thought the flock was 3 birds total. It's 6 birds? Did this start when you started introducing chicks/pullets to the hens? If so, how was the exposure handled, and how did the adult birds react?

Also while 10x20 is an ample run space for 3 (or 6) birds, your run is pretty open devoid of clutter from what I can see. You could use more clutter/hiding spots to help break up the space and provide cover to a bullied bird. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/page-6#post-25037140
We did have some stumps and things in there but they got pretty rotted during the winter and early spring. We removed and burned them and haven't replaced yet. Maybe we were taking to much time?

We also do a hanging veggie every day... brocolli, cabbage, bag of brussel sprouts, etc.

Only 3 adults with the hopes of adding 3 but they are separate. I also only have 2 younger ones as I had to rehome one that was a rooster.

We also do a hanging veggie every day... brocolli, cabbage, bag of brussel sprouts, etc.
I don't personally find food to be of great entertainment value. Once in a while is fine (and even novel) but if it's daily it's just routine. Something like a pile of dried leaves or straw to dig through will keep them busy for a while, a dust bath if the existing soil isn't suitable for bathing in, and of course the aforementioned clutter gives them things to get up on, run around, etc.

This: If so, how was the exposure handled, and how did the adult birds react? is also relevant. I find adult hens may behave differently with exposure to chicks and that can shake up the pecking order.

I don't personally find food to be of great entertainment value. Once in a while is fine (and even novel) but if it's daily it's just routine. Something like a pile of dried leaves or straw to dig through will keep them busy for a while, a dust bath if the existing soil isn't suitable for bathing in, and of course the aforementioned clutter gives them things to get up on, run around, etc.

This: If so, how was the exposure handled, and how did the adult birds react? is also relevant. I find adult hens may behave differently with exposure to chicks and that can shake up the pecking order.

We do have a ton of leaves we need to take up and we can definitely toss them into the run instead of bagging and trashing. My husband is trimming trees and we can put those in as well if they aren't to big. The exposure didn't seem off, one was interesting and the other 3 just ignored completely all the times they have been outside. I read to separate all 3 adults for a few days to try to reset the pecking order. Any opinions?

Back
Top Bottom