Very Lethargic/Unresponsive Chicken

renaenae

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
So I know this info is probably on the forum somewhere, but in this situation i've decided to post first. I have a chicken aprox 8 months old (Red Star hen). She was found this evening laying on the ground not moving. She's breathing heavy and does not move much at all. Seeming to have balance issues. Upon putting her in the coop she was being pecked by other chickens and made no effort to get away from them. We brought her into the house and put her in a brooder box with some fresh feed and water with Save-A-Chick in it. With all of the moving around she hasn't made one little peep. She's laying in the box on the floor of it with the side of her head resting on the floor. She obviously isn't going to eat or drink on her own. I don't know if we should force her to drink or what? Upon inspection her appearance is fine. No signs of injury, no wheezing, coughing or anything that we can notice. Her eyes are mostly closed--she does open them so she's fairly responsive in that sense. I've noticed no bumps or anything on her beak in her eyes or anything. Her vent is clear. I have no idea what this is. I would guess it's not respiratory, but i don't know. Any Info would be fantastic. I don't have any yogurt that's not flavored and the only meds i have for her is the save a chick and polyvisol. Any ideas?????

Thanks
Renae
Center Point, Wv

Ok, So this chicken didn't make it. I would still like to know what it could have been. We had a chicken die about 6 months ago. She was about1.5 yrs old. Seemed to be a similar situation. Any ideas would be great. both appeared to be fine in the morning and by the same night were gone. They are free rangers so I don't know if they could have gotten into something or what. We've been free ranging for about 9 months.

Back
Top Bottom