VERY Aggressive Rooster: Please Help!

I would cull him or advertise him as such.
Hens really don't need a rooster for protection but if you want one, you can get always try again with another rooster, they're easy to get.
We had the exact same problem. We culled him and replaced him with a Brahma. The new rooster is huge (more feed), but he is a gentleman and very docile to us. The girls have accepted him as their guardian and he is very good at it.

@MapleBlondieFarm

I Have raised multiple roosters. I don’t know if their future temperament has anything to do with where they are hatched or how they are handled as chicks but my speculation based on experience is that buying them from a small hobby farm (well-cared for) often makes them into calm roosters.

My first batch of chicks had about 3 to 4 roosters and all of them became very aggressive. Part of me wondered if it wasn’t because they came from a big industrial hatchery where they didn’t have much human interaction OR Because while they were still growing, they were exercising dominance to the other roosters and learned to fight. Mine were barred rock, buff Orpington, and Rhode Island red… I’ve heard people say that certain breeds have certain dispositions but honestly, I think it’s all about how they are treated and how their personalities are. I ended up giving the roosters away to other people— letting them know how they were.

I had a friend who had a whole flock of barred rock chickens and a few roosters in there and was selling them. She told me that all her roosters were very nice and I picked one out and have never had a problem with my rooster. He is a big old baby who loves his hens and is very gentle. Now in my second batch of chicks, I got them from two local hobby farm “dealers.” None of those roosters were older than 6-8 months, around the same age as when my former roosters became aggressive. I never experienced any aggression with these roosters. I just ended up selling them at a local auction because I only wanted my one rooster. I love watching my rooster make different noises and alert the hens when there could be a potential danger. He’s also like the referee when the hens start to peck at each other. It’s amazing the difference set a rooster brings to a flock.

Roosters don't usually do that much in terms of protecting the flock. If you're concerned about predators, fencing in a large run would be a lot more effective. Obviously not as fun for the girls, but effective.
I have roosters too, but I only keep the gentlemen. There are plenty of good roosters who need a new home out there. I bet if you look around (craigslist, Facebook, etc), you could find one to replace him who has a better temperament.
And please don't be too hard on yourself. There is only so much people can do to try to settle down the boys who have misplaced aggression. If he's sucking your joy from having chickens, he's not worth it.
Somehow I ended up with an amazing barred rock rooster who is actually very protective of the flock. He is a big old baby and gentle but I have seen the feather evidence and his own blood from where he tore apart other birds before. He really does make a difference for our flock. We believe it was a chicken hawk that he tore up.

Somehow I ended up with an amazing barred rock rooster who is actually very protective of the flock. He is a big old baby and gentle but I have seen the feather evidence and his own blood from where he tore apart other birds before. He really does make a difference for our flock. We believe it was a chicken hawk that he tore up.
What I did with my aggressive roosters is give them to a guy who has geese and a goat farm and he seems to do great there. He has probably learned his place in the world there lol

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!
Be careful about offering up a rooster to anyone you don’t know. He might end up in the hands of a cock fighting owner. That is worse than culling and eating to me.I have two Roos and I have culled aggressive ones in the past.

I had a rooster that started getting aggressive. I carried him around and some of the other tricks that sometimes work but nothing did. He eventually snuck up from behind and spurred me. After I healed I removed his spurs using the plier technique. Ever since he hasn't been aggressive. His spurs have grown back and I continue to remove them when they get too long for his own walking comfort. He is now very gentle but still a force to be reconned with if his hens are in danger.

I’ve been dealing with an increasingly aggressive rooster in my flock for coming on 6 months now. I deeply value the role he plays, particularly in that he’s been an exceptional protector for our free range hens. Knock on wood we haven’t lost a single one (or had so much as an injury) in the year he’s been with them. I’ve read forums and watched videos.. on the rare occasions I’ve tricked him and been quick enough to pick him up and carry him around, I’ve tried reinforcing that I’m the treat lady and also (gently) reminding him that I’m alpha by mimicking alpha rooster behavior.

I don’t want to get rid of him, but frankly he’s stealing the joy I once had in raising my girls. I have to carry a rake around with me at all times because his new trick is to dart (at speed from a distance) and then attack me. I’m young and agile but it gives me a heart attack every time and it’s just miserable. In the summer I garden and the last thing I need is him trying that trick while I’m crouched down in shorts and a tank top. I don’t want to be afraid of my own animals.

So now what? Do I cull him or offer him up for free with full transparency to his temperament? Do I try and introduce a new rooster and make a point to do better imprinting/training? As fabulous as it could be, I’m hesitant to let him go and not have a rooster because I want my girls to be protected. We live near woods and my neighbors have lost tons of chickens. I wish I could suck it up but I can’t have children or guests anywhere near him. I can’t go on like this! Thanks in advance everyone!
Try the bad goose thing--pin his head to the ground and press down on his back to mimic another male disciplining him

A good rooster should be the first to notice when you approach the flock. He should naturally move at least 6 feet away from you.
All my good friendly roosters don't mind me in their space that much. Only ones I've had move away that far from me are the(Non Aggressive) skittish type.

Majority of mine are able to be picked up easily.

I too have a somewhat aggressive Banty Rooster. I think he has “little man complex”. 😂. He’s mostly aggressive toward my husband, who carries a stick with him when he’s in the area where the roo is. My chickens free range during the day. I just try to give him a wide bearth and keep my eye on him. Good luck, I understand this is distressing.

I had one that was doing the same. I tried everything to get his behavior to change. I had to cull him and I would have offered him to someone else but I couldn’t in good mind since he was beyond help. He was attacking me to the point drawing blood. I still have the scars. Your choice I’m sure you know what you have to do. It’s hard I love all my babies. He was one of my incubator babies and very beautiful but had to do it.

Back
Top Bottom