Vertical (gravity) vs. horizontal (spring loaded) watering nipples

Pics
Quote:
I like the heater light too.... and I also put an indicator light in the thermoplug so I could tell when it was on or off.
Did you use a night light type light?
I did and I covered the bulb with a piece of capped PVC with one small hole drilled in it as I didn't want to shed a lot of light in the coop at night. I could actually see that indicator spot of light from my living room.

So this is what the inside of my bucket looks like. This crack appeared last month (after several months of use) and the HN at each cracked location leaks. I forgot to buy food grade caulk yesterday. But before I buy a new bucket I'll try the caulk as long as it doesn't damage the HN, for which I will try in a new bucket if the caulk doesn't remedy the leak.
(The bucket is food grade and #2 recyclable.)

But.... the glass 50 watt submersible fish tank heater worked very well...and only 50 watts. Just have to be sure to devise a way to keep it under water. (a net bag of marbles does a great job.)

I used an aquarium heater like that when I was using vertical nipples, as it was the only heater that kept them thawed. After coming home one day to find the heater was in the process of melting the suctions cups and part of the bucket (I had let the water level get too low...my bad), I swore against these heaters for outdoor use ever again. They are supposed to shut themselves off, but the one I had (it looks identical to the one you've pictured above) did not shut off automatically. In contrast, the farm-grade stock tank de-icer I am using in my 5 gallon bucket does shut off...pull it out of the water and it shuts off...put it back in the water and it turns back on.

In addition, the lowest setting on the aquarium heater was 68F. The de-icer only heats to 45F and has a built in thermocube (turns on at 35 and off at 45F). Cost was the same for each heater device.

The wattage thing...for example it may take a 50W heater 2 hours to heat the water to X degrees, whereas it only takes a 250W one 20 minutes. Not sure which one would cost less electricity, but the 250W one will probably be longer lived since the heat element will not be live with electricity as much of the time.

So this is what the inside of my bucket looks like. This crack appeared last month (after several months of use) and the HN at each cracked location leaks. I forgot to buy food grade caulk yesterday. But before I buy a new bucket I'll try the caulk as long as it doesn't damage the HN, for which I will try in a new bucket if the caulk doesn't remedy the leak.
(The bucket is food grade and #2 recyclable.)

My guess is here these cracks are a combination of overtightening the nipples plus perhaps a bucket that has had the plastic degraded by years(?) of UV exposure from the sun.

Last edited:
Buckets have been in use since April. One in the sun, the other two in the shade. Seems that they should've lasted longer than 4-5 months. Anyway, I'll try another bucket and not tighten as much.

I'm sorry, I know you've told us a million times, but what heater do you use?

Buckets have been in use since April. One in the sun, the other two in the shade. Seems that they should've lasted longer than 4-5 months. Anyway, I'll try another bucket and not tighten as much.

I'm sorry, I know you've told us a million times, but what heater do you use?

I use this heater in my 5-gallon bucket with horizontal nipples (with the float ring removed):

K&H Ultimate All-In-One Stock Tank De-Icer 250-Watt Removable Floater Ring

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QXN1H8/ref=twister_B002QXN1I2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pics of my setup:

Well it's getting to be that time of year again to put the heaters in the water buckets. This is going to be my 3rd winter with the HN and I love them. I live in Michigans Upper Pennisula where it gets very cold,last winter we had 75 straight days of below 0 F temps the coldest being in the -40F. Being that cold I did have a few days that the nipples froze but I thawed them out just by grabbing them and they thawed from just the heat of my hand. I also had icicles hanging from the bucket from sloppy hens. This year I put my buckets on a brick inside a cat litter box to catch the water, hopefully this will keep the ice from getting on the floor.

Well it's getting to be that time of year again to put the heaters in the water buckets. This is going to be my 3rd winter with the HN and I love them. I live in Michigans Upper Pennisula where it gets very cold,last winter we had 75 straight days of below 0 F temps the coldest being in the -40F. Being that cold I did have a few days that the nipples froze but I thawed them out just by grabbing them and they thawed from just the heat of my hand. I also had icicles hanging from the bucket from sloppy hens. This year I put my buckets on a brick inside a cat litter box to catch the water, hopefully this will keep the ice from getting on the floor.
I'm thrilled to hear of your HN success. I'm going into my 1st winter with them.

Can you post a pic of how you did this?

Back
Top Bottom