Vent Prolapse, Help Please!

chippycheeks

Chirping
Oct 1, 2021
Hi everyone. My Bantam Easter Egger is about eight months old, and I noticed that she had a vent prolapse. Her past few eggs have been a little bloody. It could not have been more than two days old, because I was handling her on the May the 26th. I have pushed it back in, but it keeps popping out again, like when she poops. I have her in a crate in the house separated from the flock. Any ideas on how I should treat this? I am new to keeping chickens, and she is my favorate. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• DCCA6F3B-DE99-40EE-BDA6-759C0DC8C10A.jpeg
    DCCA6F3B-DE99-40EE-BDA6-759C0DC8C10A.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 14
Unfortunately this is not an easy thing to try and fix.

You could push it in 10 times a day for weeks before it stays if it is going to stay...
There is no easy fix.

Okay, Thank you. Is there anything I can do to help her? It seems like she has a lot of poop clogged up.

Do you have a picture of her vent? It take take some time for a prolapse to stay in. Keep the prolapse tissue moist with honey or ointment. Can you check to see if she has an egg inside? A human calcium tablet such as Caltate or calcium citrate with vitamin D given orally may help. Placing a hen in the dark for 16 hours a day can help to stop laying, but it takes several days to accomplish. Is she drinking normally? Here is a good link about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Thank you for your replies! Her prolapse is staying in so far, though it sometimes prolapses a little when she poops, then goes back in by itself. She is drinking and eating normally, and is very feisty. She doesn’t have an egg inside, but she laid one yesterday that had a streak of blood on it, despite not being fed a lot and being in the dark. When she laid the egg, she prolapsed a little, but it went back in without me doing anything. (I sprayed some Preparation-H on her vent anyway. She seems normalish again, so I was wondering if I could put her back with her flock? They seem like they are missing her, and I think that she would be much happier with them. Thank you in advance!
Edit:
Sorry, I forgot to mention. She has been in a dog crate with food and water inside the run with a towel over the crate for darkness.

Last edited:
As long as her vent is staying in, she could go back with her flock. But if she is still having a partial prolapse when laying, they might still peck the red. A dog crate with food and water is a good way to keep her safe.

Back
Top Bottom