USDA Three More Public Meetings on Animal Identification*******

hinkjc wrote:

It starts with the animals and eventually they'll have all humans tagged/microchipped as well. All I can say is get educated on what they're trying to do, know where your legislators stand on these topics and vote based on how you feel about it. Moving forward, every election is going to be more critical, to preserve our rights and liberties.

Another Amen from me. We need to really think about who we're put in in Washington, this is getting very scary.​

if they track our meat supply (will this included wild animals as well), next will be every piece of fruit or vegetable you eat, because in reality all have the potential to carry food born illnesses to that can kill or make very sick humans as well..that means Lil mom and pop who give extras away for free and farmers markets will be effected by the sale of these items..

just one example from Jan 17, 2006 there are many many more out there in Internet land.
o ya how funny, the government wants to regulate the Internet to..hmmm wonder why...
smack.gif

Steve Swanson was the lead investigators on the E-coli outbreak in Minnesota last September.
When the first three samples arrived, E-coli 0157 and a strain never before seen in Minnesota were found.
Investigators think the lettuce that was recalled last fall became contaminated by E-coli in the growing fields. It can happen if the soil is downstream from a dairy or cattle farm. maybe even from some country's that use human waste to fertilize there crops/fields are coming here to the USA as well, WILL THEY BE INSPECTED PROPERLY TO in foreign country's??

or i wonder about down stream from us back yard chicken owners or rabbitries or from our doggies going to the bathroom outside..the list could go on and on as to how it got what....

also Because vegetables & fruits now come from more places, including overseas, the overall process is tough to track.

Last edited:
Quote:
All I can say is Amen. Don't want it. Don't need it.

AMEN again!

Wisconsin is one of 2 states, I believe, that made premesis ID mandatory in '06. There was such a debacle because of all the Amish dairy farmers who would be required to register with a program that violates their religious beliefs (numbering livestock like this=mark of the devil.) I'm not sure if there were exemptions given, or if enforcement stalled a bit; right now the outrage has shifted to raw milk. I am hoping the new governor that gets elected in Nov will work to repeal WI NAIS, or at the very least make it completely voluntary.

They'll continue to focus on the commercial producers, in a more limited fashion (where's the money?):

And we have zeroed out funding for the voluntary National Animal ID System (NAIS). We have spent over $147 million on this program since 2004. And six years later, we still have not seen a clear plan from USDA on successful implementation, even after they shifted to a more fragmented system in 2010. While the administration asked for $14.2 million for this program, we do not feel it is a good use of resources to fund NAIS until the agency develops a clear plan for a mandatory system with measurable goals, long-term funding levels, and a plan for successful implementation

The
bill is in the Senate and I'm doubtful they'll pencil that paltry sum back in: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:s3606pcs.txt.pdf
The
3 million for Humane Animal Tracking is an FSIS (Food and Safety Inspection Service) program to look at `Downer' cattle and the like.

Traceability, across state lines, will continue to keep them occupied. The one area (poultry) that is of the most concern to USDA/APHIS are live bird sales (as in open air marketing of), as the commercial poultry industry is pretty much in compliance already. Of course, if you live in a state that is off its feed and in your wallet well, yeah, they might show up to give you grief.

To get an idea of the USDA/APHIS plans for traceability (the 2008 rendition) : http://www.aphis.usda.gov/traceability/downloads/TraceabilityBusinessPlanSept2008.pdf

The
example (regarding poultry) given in this document:
info.jpg

Now, this example doesn't speak to `food safety'/transport (USDA's primary focus) directly (as regards `ID', but one can understand why they've been swinging out in the dark for several years now), but it does go to my worries about a program has always been run on the cheap (how many Joint Strike Fighters can you buy with a $147 mil.?) and is focused in the wrong direction. I am signed up (in MO. voluntary by law), what has happened owing to my participation? Free necroscopies, plenty of information and that is all. What I had hoped, when the program was implemented, was that those who participated would be able to receive low cost Dx/necroscopies by local ag/State Vets and that that information (illness found/location-no not your GPS coords) would be entered into a mapping database and, possibly partnered with Google, these maps would be updated regularly. Also, that some of the funding would go into U.S. research into `lab on a chip' applications, so that, eventually, you and I could actually KNOW why we're pumping antibiotics into chickens with `colds'.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/a2817148214n6125/
http://www.hightechfactory.com/news...mmercial-first-in-veterinary-diagnostics.html

I do worry that, as backyard poultry becomes more popular, someone is going to dose their flock for too long, with too much, of the wrong/or unnecessary antibiotic and we'll get something `new and exciting' to go zoonotic and start eating on us (not good PR for our cause). Say what you will about the antibiotic use in commercial operations, they usually have a vet, they are treating a closed flock, for a limited time.

I really think that, for the present, the Feds are going to remain on short rations and the majority of the activity will focus on `balance of trade', i.e., `please lord, don't embargo our meat'... Not backyarders. That there are certain individuals in this administration that would like to go further (Cass Sunstein for instance) isn't a secret but, their teeth are rubber.​

Last edited:
Ok so am I miss understanding this. If I produce my own chicks, they never leave my farm, the product they produce never leaves the farm then I would not need to ID? I have no intention of selling. Only family eats what I produce vegetable or otherwise. Its such a bad time right now and there really is no where to escape it.

I wonder if I could start a wild flock. We have a pretty large wild turkey flock so that might not be a good idea.

Quote:
Not YET, unless you live in Wisconsin. But, yes, if someone suspects that you have a dieseased flock, NAIS will enable the government to come and destroy your WHOLE flock, because it is a "place of origin."
If you volunteer and help them "harmonize" to "enhance traceability", then you will help them know about your backyard flock(s).
I wonder if I could start a wild flock. We have a pretty large wild turkey flock so that might not be a good idea.

This is currently illegal in some states--don't know about yours.
NOW, do you know why we're hopping mad?!?!?!?
somad.gif

inspectors(FDA/USDA) is any body doing there jobs anymore in the USA ??? OR are they being paid to just let things slide on through??
somad.gif
caf.gif
this should have been caught at the place of origin before they even made it into the market. well if they cant stop it there, then that means they aren't doing there jobs now.. Nais really come on..

228M eggs recalled following salmonella outbreak

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_tainted_eggs

Last edited:
Quote:
Not YET, unless you live in Wisconsin. But, yes, if someone suspects that you have a dieseased flock, NAIS will enable the government to come and destroy your WHOLE flock, because it is a "place of origin."
If you volunteer and help them "harmonize" to "enhance traceability", then you will help them know about your backyard flock(s).

This is currently illegal in some states--don't know about yours.
NOW, do you know why we're hopping mad?!?!?!?
somad.gif

I'm not hopping mad, I am hiding scared. I honestly don't think they give a flip if they hurt or go against the american people. I don't think they are doing anything to protect us and everything they can to control us. My question about the wild flock was from an idea my mother gave me. My grandmother raised my mom during the depression in Europe while Austria was occupied. My grandmother and aunts survived while Hitler occupied Austria also. There are just lots of stories about how they made it. One thing the farmers did is have a small flock in their woods. We already have HUGE turkey flocks on our land.

Back
Top Bottom