Urgent: hatched chicks knocking into other eggs, is this OK?

alireza18feb

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Some say you should open the bator and move the hatched chicks to the brooder, some other believe it's better not to open the bator in order to maintain the humidity.
Most websites suggest it's nothing to worry about, they've been turning other eggs.
I wanna ask, is there anyone who doesn't open the bator to remove the hatched chicks and gets good results?

I wanna ask, is there anyone who doesn't open the bator to remove the hatched chicks and gets good results?
It seems scary and frustrating!

I've done both.. leave them and take them out. I've had excellent results both ways.

If I'm removing chicks to the brooder.. I don't do that until there are at least two ready to go together. I also drape towels over to catch the warmth and humidity and quickly grab out the soccer player.

Note that opening the bator wide, and letting the temp (and humidity( drop CAN cause shrink wrapping of pipped chicks. A small crack with precaution taken CAN make it safe.. Your bator type may matter also.. the popular clear dome circular one.. lets eggs and chicks roll out too easy to attempt!

I do agree that it's nothing to worry about. And I've seen people cause way more problems than they prevent by intervening. It's ALWAYS a difficult choice.. and for me, it changes from hatch to hatch as my thought process grows and changes so does my experience.

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Ive had worse hatchrates with chicks knocking other eggs around then when i hatch upright. They also leave dirt on other eggs stopping them from hatching. I personally leave mine in a turner now easier for me.

Back
Top Bottom