Urgent; ducks living outside?

Bridger Davis

Songster
Jul 25, 2017
Evans Colorado
So I'm back with just about the same question as before, but now with different information... Ducklings are nearly 5 weeks old... Here's a recent pic.
HcMzN5LQNYmrD9V61J48rgx-a5KTSQb3o6Zskcse5FBLzOMiTuQvXaXI1FSfhN0M8xoL94zu8CU_qV_j7WN2peOwqsgG4YpCcCRjAaiMaRzG9PVZ8z6PJTA5DNuA6aSIUIpdxBkoyb9VQmsLvGQ4eNj-HXfELD6ftulQz_Tk8WQanpX36_VVGbaLsTdkReEWpW5y6uxfTlIuV-KrrDXv7rPAtQSuKLXcB5vgzBaQG5xTnRkxrJ0qr4jpPFsfazpbdrjt58w4OAs2Dwuub6cRQ3Guisay96rP70uhWpbql_Sw-Jelma83jjiYzQnOi8cAzZSyLO1fxoPgtTZejx2WcgokUQWU0GrH0_1C5xawAzfik5GCjCPvfkHsX9HyvAZoRMKeL5gyuLVfFSqWx8NTwRhOnHOYqLo_fo6H75whnFE325FCtLIzd7iWPWSSWJpJoY0q_U1DbW6JM0ubG34bpx1cHsX_d_aYasVZ0LdskQIkabxiCkYGOs8qjZL0Jlp_1dzuW_sSxYv-FhiGXKSRopOng9WTTnW5pv1seqActr42xnKdCCvN8buLEmICwyjS5e4UbTQrb9putRvQB_Hz4MpU7P9gdkt4zdH5rf3q77tEvRzOW7Njo3uTM8PDouKeGvWDFcSbSGIJIWucWayujwf0ViRaTfZ4=w446-h593-no
They are nearly fully feathered, except for around their rump, and they've been spending all days outside. At nights, they come inside and make a TREMENDOUS mess in their brooder, but I've not had the heat lamp on. They've been quite alright with the room temp inside. Now I really want them out, but it's getting down to a low of the 30s at night... Can I provide the heat lamp outside in their coop? It's also going to be raining... is that a problem? Also, I don't have any hay.... Is dried grass clippings OK? Thanks in advance!!

Low thirties is quite low, and I wouldn't take chances- plus, rain and heat lamps probably will not mix well. They should stay inside at night or whenever it's cold until the weather warms some. Dried grass clippings should be fine themselves, if you pick out any shredded yard trash first so they ducks don't choke or have digestive problems. Best of luck!

My 3 week old KC has been outside since there was snow on the ground, she was around 4 weeks old it was 0 at night and 10 in the days
20190410_114518.jpg

i couldnt stand the poop anymore and i had 1. i used a heatlampin the coop till she was 5 weeks old, dried grass is fine

They are very cute!

My 3 week old KC has been outside since there was snow on the ground, she was around 4 weeks old it was 0 at night and 10 in the days View attachment 1766103

i couldnt stand the poop anymore and i had 1. i used a heatlampin the coop till she was 5 weeks old, dried grass is fine

They are very cute!

AWWW thanks!! So here's the set-up... I think I'll try it out tonight because it's only going to get down to 45 degrees tonight. The tarp is so the inside and heat lamp does not get wet just in case it decides to rain. They have their towels, stuffed emoji pillow, and donut pillow inside the coop, and on the outside, food and water under a covered area. The heatlamp is prob about 18 in off the ground, but one door to the coop is open to help air it out and keep it not too warm.
Q607a15B2Sr3IEDr5t-eoHVU43zV76zoT744_QYDwcpKYbplA14vAsEzVLdlmkM7E4QOdR8bOF0ABlcIcU18DPZS4hjXxdYhwhonK6aYCzJl-zRi11yuOhUbDYvLoAqztLf3UUwHCw1qNzVAMhYNN8jSXRdBq_1Ct64Wk9wgZLFO0etgenLZHbhywzqfrzQL2gxwrbIdlbgFthm1e476mHpTr2EuZuGsN8VIKhR2u2JK1pbCxRekg_yJlKOKoaOpKxzxKDevylYDPUheWDT4LljL5z97qMyVCOzrkEU1Xoah7yhJUXwKc2EGyzeIiDdr0Rhvvvnuk_KtUd1zLz-g7AqMWVQIHAV24aTzT41pCJQxLSTvVjXJfp7Ryx2ywtyCfZOCA-e7ceenQ__uZCiNNcNsbZvIp6okp8_VKWlnaG44e4pFkVPIyw0OckwsgUU_GoX0ukjbBmVYusLJEQKoZFgKr0Dt8toIYoApf_0-zqWteJUJd7UN4wA0vlk6EhX5fe9pZzrcWxMBX3e6kHRFsdrmoOkzjzdqZECQYmasgJMK5Q5YYvgKmFTEyjg7dSo1i9BvADsUGM0I5E5-PcAy23M-zafv8FXHa7Su89XDNix4r9Gzp5SaGcXK-X9l8HU6uaoOLFPQ16lebCcPA7wHK2xSCrHO1zyl=w791-h593-no

GGUKt5XzFtT-DoIR_AEVUt7b8yjWMStmi5QZuVo2akTDn5t2benugH1G7xM6FBGLumx1J67IVF-nkBvAbxpiYz8q0yofNygJ-Ec8g2MdFAvzAUkjpsc5jVLpCZBDw-wKoceJ7ffMUFJlrR_PEkg3d8zWlO4z_sfYHYc1VKvnG6Kg2BVJQer09Wqap-arWmCL1QPaqr8V5iN8WTYAOFCDSVt0az90wGJYXQibW3Y9Sn_UE9nZbhcz9qDeAuKiRj7xDUio2Q-9alST94VRBcQyZu3Yoho1E9AIMhOV65i0eTrDpfBJU6XruvzNv207ZESdgdhAoxNGqWiomAj0GRnGuXSVXMmOa8dTXMdIYv5vmi7H5Q9fREKydHiOC_xvi4verfkXaTWQbrW2DuanGBShqPEdqnXK9rxjfXkOsidzhzpOL6ztk-DDspyZzzZURP4IFUPeseYln94ZvhiJ8uF8pvpipp6qxdnw1QOzlE5EXoAymFIvo26lpYrvbsKfSK9XGBHvkPJOGXtjurXpnfs1SNM28ERFA6Q9SQt1ynF82nxrk4QbDnVRXVyk6dt2MonyZNCJTUsuOBy-QYJkBCwT5XDcDU1buRVVDorflX3x0t16aV-BjG8Aup3bcrSbf2k59BgXAl0GdEX6Bch1w99oSomxPVMWoySX=w791-h593-no

Haha they sound like they are your babies! Your sure love em

if your uncomfortable then keep them in, but theyll be fine, Aslong as their coop is predator proof for the night. i looks warm and cosy with the lamp

A coop should have good ventilation but also wire screens over opening to keep animals out like Raccoons, weasel, and foxes and things from eating them

I was just wondering earlier if mine (almost the exact same age) were old enough to go outside...it's been in the 40s-50s at night here mostly. Then I decided why chance it, and I'd miss them anyway, so I'll keep them in as long as I can :gigMine are staying in a spare bathtub, so it's easy to rinse all the poo away (multiple times a day... it amazes me how much poo they make!)
But your setup does look cozy...I bet they'd be fine.

Out with them! Have am infrared lamp or a heat pad in their house and let them roam free between house and pen. Protect the house against cold wind drafts.
I would not use hay or dried grass clippings alone. I use straw as bedding and stretch that a bit with self-made hay. Hay alone will get wet and moldy, so do grass clippings. My Spring Ducklings went outside when they were 4 weeks old at the end of February, we got temperatures in the upper 20's but my babies snuggled all together under their infrared lamp and they were well protected against the wind with tarps.

Haha they sound like they are your babies! Your sure love em

if your uncomfortable then keep them in, but theyll be fine, Aslong as their coop is predator proof for the night. i looks warm and cosy with the lamp

A coop should have good ventilation but also wire screens over opening to keep animals out like Raccoons, weasel, and foxes and things from eating them
Yup! It covers all the criteria : ) The tarp is just a protection for drafts, but once they have more feathers, I'll take it off and the wired top will help with ventilation. Thanks!

My 3 week old KC has been outside since there was snow on the ground, she was around 4 weeks old it was 0 at night and 10 in the days View attachment 1766103

They are very cute!
Obviously not one of your "ACME Exploding Gag" heat lamps :cool:

Nice setup they got there. :)
Heat lamp is fine at that age. Keep the tarp on, so it won't get windy in there!
You also want to keep them away from rain before they're fully feathered. They don't have a mom to "waterproof" them, so they'll get soaked and cold.
As for bedding, I use straw for the old ones and towels for little ones and change it often. Don't use anything that gets damp and moldy, since that can damage their lungs.

Back
Top Bottom