URGENT - 2 week chick having trouble pooping

Olive_Egger

Chirping
May 27, 2021
Nearly two weeks old, she has had a slightly sour smell from her mouth for about a week now. We haven’t figured it out until now but it started a couple of days ago, when she tries to poop it takes her a while and her wings hand a bit, when she pushes she chirps like the strain hurts, although her but isn’t pasty. The first photo is her as she’s trying to poop, the second is the poop that came out which seems normal to me.
IMG_7855.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7857.jpeg
    IMG_7857.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 12
Nearly two weeks old, she has had a slightly sour smell from her mouth for about a week now. We haven’t figured it out until now but it started a couple of days ago, when she tries to poop it takes her a while and her wings hand a bit, when she pushes she chirps like the strain hurts, although her but isn’t pasty. The first photo is her as she’s trying to poop, the second is the poop that came out which seems normal to me.View attachment 3499121
Also, I didn’t want to help her or interfere in case it hurts her, but lmk if i should.

Age two weeks seem to be a common age for constipation. In mt experience it can sometimes be caused by not drinking enough water perhaps due to the waterer being hard to access or work.

Eating too many things requiring grit is another cause. Either the grit isn't the right size or the chick doesn't have access to any. This causes slow crop and the smell you noticed.

The remedies are simple. Be sure the chick is getting water and chick size grit (sand is about the right size). Add probiotics to the diet. And if the chick is having trouble pooping, chirping when trying to squat, give it a few teaspoons of coconut oil and crop massage over several hours.

Age two weeks seem to be a common age for constipation. In mt experience it can sometimes be caused by not drinking enough water perhaps due to the waterer being hard to access or work.

Eating too many things requiring grit is another cause. Either the grit isn't the right size or the chick doesn't have access to any. This causes slow crop and the smell you noticed.

The remedies are simple. Be sure the chick is getting water and chick size grit (sand is about the right size). Add probiotics to the diet. And if the chick is having trouble pooping, chirping when trying to squat, give it a few teaspoons of coconut oil and crop massage over several hours.
Thank you so much, I’ll start doing this and update!

Hello. I too have a RIR that is chirping while pooping.

Added grit the last few days and was giving corn meal prior with yogurt. Been soaking her butt and she will make a larger dropping but she is still struggling. Not sure what more to do. Surprised from searching online how little info there is on this situation even though people are reporting the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom