Updated wild muscovy ducks

newbie ducks

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Both Oreo & Paula have been sharing the same box house & both of them have eggs in it. As of April 10 there is 22 eggs in their basket & both girls have been working in shifts Oreo has the night shift & Then Paula comes in the AM to relieve her for awhile until just before sunset when Oreo comes back to stay all night. As of April 11, Oreo has been staying all day & all night & takes Breaks then comes back again. so It looks like Oreo will be the one to stay around to hatch them so far. I guess Oreo told Paula I got this. I think Paula will come by to check on them from time to time. At least it gives me some clue about when the babies will be here.
Oreo on the left & Paula on the right pictures.

Attachments

• oreo april 10 24.jpg
    oreo april 10 24.jpg
    748.4 KB · Views: 13
  • paula april 10 24.jpg
    paula april 10 24.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 5
They must feel awfully secure to have their nest with you and you have done such a good job helping them through this hatching season. Which is probably not over lol
got a question another muscovy named oreo just hatched 23 babies on may 14 she took them all over to the pond I checked on them 2 days ago she has 7 babies left. at 1st she came over to my house without her babies for about 2days & then past 2 days she & daddy duck come over to my house without her babies they come over every morning for about 10 minutes to check everything out, then leave. I covered up her nesting area after she had her babies, but after 2 days of her showing up I told her okay I put it back for you, so I put back her nesting box in the same spot for her. she made a little indent circle inside it. I thought maybe something going on over at the pond so the other day I went over to the pond to see them they came up to me to say hello & swam off. Is it possible could she be pregnant again? or maybe they are looking for a safe place to bring over what babies she has left to keep them alive? or setting it up for another duck to use it?

Back
Top Bottom