Update:It’s working!!! Only 2 hatched...trying to get silkie to help

Great News! Unfortunately, my silkie gave up the next day. She did great through that first night and didn’t want me anywhere near them. Come daylight the next day she decided she had enough of that newborn chick business. I put the heat plate in with them and they seem to be doing okay. He little Serama that was born Monday morning seems to do a lot of peeping though. Until I pick him up and cuddle him in a soft old baby blanket. Then the other one does the same thing. I feel like all I’ve done all week is keep chicks warm under my chin ....

0C7DB9EA-94A7-4DE5-BB85-FA735CFC4EED.jpeg
91AB8B81-9006-4C2B-8099-8AB667F5ADDE.jpeg
Here is Bonnie today with her new kids after just raising her Silkie chicks 6 weeks. Amazing isn’t it? :weeShe went right back to teaching them food and water..:hugs

Great News! Unfortunately, my silkie gave up the next day. She did great through that first night and didn’t want me anywhere near them. Come daylight the next day she decided she had enough of that newborn chick business. I put the heat plate in with them and they seem to be doing okay. He little Serama that was born Monday morning seems to do a lot of peeping though. Until I pick him up and cuddle him in a soft old baby blanket. Then the other one does the same thing. I feel like all I’ve done all week is keep chicks warm under my chin ....
Too bad. Unfortunately if you bothered her too much she will stop. I’m definitely hands off and letting her mother. Sorry it didn’t work for you..

View attachment 1709435 View attachment 1709436 Here is Bonnie today with her new kids after just raising her Silkie chicks 6 weeks. Amazing isn’t it? :weeShe went right back to teaching them food and water..:hugs
Awe how cute. I’m so glad she took right to them. They are so adorable. I’ve really thought about getting some of those. I’m trying to stick with bantams because they require less space. Not that space is a real issue on 17 acres. My husband just doesn’t want to build another chicken setup. Too bad for him. I think he just likes to complain but he secretly likes these little guys. Sounds crazy but I got chickens last year after surgery for mouth cancer. After I found out I didn’t need chemo of course. They have been really good therapy animals.

Awe how cute. I’m so glad she took right to them. They are so adorable. I’ve really thought about getting some of those. I’m trying to stick with bantams because they require less space. Not that space is a real issue on 17 acres. My husband just doesn’t want to build another chicken setup. Too bad for him. I think he just likes to complain but he secretly likes these little guys. Sounds crazy but I got chickens last year after surgery for mouth cancer. After I found out I didn’t need chemo of course. They have been really good therapy animals.
I'm definitely going to try keeping my Speckled Sussex with my Silkies although I do have a separate Coop that I can use..Definite modifications need to be done.

Back
Top Bottom