Unincorporated DuPage County, Illinois

You aren't alone. There are many of us in DuPage who would like to keep chickens (or other fowl.) I have noticed lately that they are really advertising "green initiatives."
If they are serious about being green, maybe they will hear us out. I know at one time, they mayor of Wheaton said he would meet with anyone wanting to learn how to take next steps toward legalizing chickens, and here is another guy who might be a good one to contact: https://www.dupageco.org/GreenGovCouncil/

There is a FaceBook page for backyard chicken keeping in Wheaton here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Citi...cken-Keeping-cluck-Wheaton-IL/136594583046827

Hello,
It has been a while, almost a year since your post. Has anything changed? I have a dog house I am thinking of converting into a coop. Before I start I need a confidence boost that the "man" is not going to come take my hens! It is funny that Naperville allows chickens but unincorporated Naperville may or may not.
Matt

I am a Afghanistan veteran and I got the animals for therapeutic and health reasons and to help me get myself mentally stable once again and it has helped me a lot. Someone just called on me after I had my chickens for over a 15 months. I have a potbelly pig as well. When I moved here I was told by the county that I could have both chicken and the potbelly pig because it was unincorporated but now they are saying that I have 30 days to get rid of them unless become a 4h member. Well my household loves the chickens and the potbelly and I am not giving up without a fight. Anyone out there that is able to give me some solid viable advice please help. Thank you in advance and God Bless.

Hello sir and thank you for your service. I to live in unincorporated du page. I am just waiting for the day someone turns me in. It is crazy that every town surrounding us allows chickens but unincorporated does not. Lisle,downers grove, Naperville, Wheaton. They all do. My only advise to you is this. The way I read the law, you are allowed a certain number of pets. Prove your chickens are pets and they can stay. You would need some kind of enclosure inside the house or Maybe a small run in the garage? Even if only temporary this would help prove they are pets. The pig might be a whole different argument. I do not know about that.
Good luck and please keep us posted as to how this turns out.
Matt

Here's first experience to share with the rest of DuPagers. I have backyard chickens in unincorporated Wood Dale, which is under the jurisdiction of Dupage. I've had them for over 2 years now, with no hitch, until a new neighbor moved in about 5 months ago. I approach all my neighbors to make sure things are in good order, but I have a feeling the new neighbors weren't good with it. I did speak with a city employee with Dupage by phone, and he seemed helpful. According to him no politician is willing to vote to allow chickens in Dupage officially. It's just not on the political agenda. But if it was part of the agenda, likely with the popularity of it, we could get it voted into county ordinance. Regarding my current dilemma, I've decided to fold my backyard chicken hobby for now. Anyone want an empty 8x8x8 chicken coop? I've already sold all my adult Orphingtons.

Hi fellow DuPagers. Check out this new Facebook group populated mainly by DuPagers currently, but designed to legalize, support, and sustain urban and suburban poultry keeping throughout the U.S. - https://www.facebook.com/groups/758190664517624/
Solantus, thanks very much! I'm glad for the update and now I nominate you to assist us elders and non-facebookers by posting any pertinent info here. Can you please do that for us? :old

That's not problem. If I think something from the Facebook group is particularly pertinent, I'll copy and paste it here. A friend and neighbor of mine on FB is working hard with some signs of progress, so venturing into Facebook might not be a bad idea to keep up with the current events and meetings to make our passion a fully legal and sustainable reality. The important thing is that us middle-age and older folks tend to vote and support things we care about with our pocketbook, so let's not overlook the power of "elders". :)

Back
Top Bottom