Unincorperated Seminole County (Fowl/Livestock) Housed or Pastured in Residentially Zoned Areas

Code man

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2015
Greetings,

This is a neat forum, with lots of information provided via the internet publicly viewable through search engines. I know your thinking OMG whats this person doing here?!? Well to be honest I stumbled upon this forum while looking up backyard businesses.

Yes we are allowed to use all means publicly availible in the course of our duties. And no we are not intentionally looking here for folks violating Land Development Codes, again I stumbled upon this and saw the question asking about Seminole County Rules for chickens & I am trying to help. :)

In reading, I see many folks admitting they have raised chickens in residential areas for 10+ yrs and still have not been caught and may be continuing to do so "under the radar" in what ever area they reside.

Seminole Countys definition of Fowl: All kinds of poultry and fowl including, but not limited to, chickens, turkeys, ducks, guineas, geese, pigeons and quail.

I will attempt to explain from a CE side of how residents get caught raising fowl.
Friends, HOA's, Neighbors & the ocassional CE drive by.

1) You read correctly when you saw the word FRIENDS, When friends that have seen or know you have fowl and they think it's neat, they may even talk of doing it themselves. But if you have a falling out with that friend, you can guess whos calling CE & providing photographic evidence of your violation.

2) Neighbors, yes neighbors while some may like the chickens, get free eggs from you. Many do not as they chose the city life for a reason. Some may tolerate the clucking, smell of poo, etc. BUT wait till the rooster shows up then the neighbors quality of life is effected because the rooster likes to crow often from 3:30am and continues throughout the day and the neighbors sleep is affected. Then CE and/or the HOA recieves a call & is provided photographic evidence that the fowl exist.

3) HOAs, Well here we have a different side. They have legal bylaws you signed that you agreed to their rules in the packet of bank paper work, when you purchased your home. Their rules are civil in nature but binding & some can have fines issued or can even foreclose on a home or property. Normally the HOA addresses the fowl issue through their steps, then they call CE as a secondary measure & provide photographic evidence that a fowl violation exists. Note CE can not enforce HOA rules, CE can however enforce city or county ords in the jurisdiction were you live. If you live in a city, they have their own CE. If you in unincorporated county they have their own CE as well and each jurisdiction has their own different ords.

4) CE, Yes CE & Police proactively patrol neighborhoods looking for possible violations. Some CE are sworn Law Enforcement since some juristictions work hand in hand. If they happen to see chickens roaming a yard or hear the crowing or loud clucking ... Discovery is made. The officer then attempts to make contact with the home owner and if the resident is not home or doesnt answer the door, a Notice is mailed.

The CE visit, we arrive make contact with the resident. We then explain the reason for our visit. We then ask the resident if they have chickens, even though we have either heard them or the complainant has provided photos as proof the violation exists, we still ask.

Once the violation has been confirmed a case is opened & the resident is given a reasonable amount of time per the law, to remove the chickens/fowl 2wks to 30dys. once the chickens are gone the case closes.

In the event a resident or property owner refuses to remove the chickens or fowl, a case is filed before the Code Enforcement Board or Magistrate were up to a $250.00 per day, per chicken/fowl, fine could be requested. (this can get expencive very quickly based upon the number of fowl you have)

It is important to remember that there are those that will tell others that live in an area that fowl are not permitted to "Just Do It". However when you get caught these same people are not going to step up and pay your fines. Since many departments can issue a fine on the spot.

Generally those wanting to live a country lifestyle move out into the rural areas zoned for keeping fowl or livestock, this is called Agricultural zoned lands. Typically these areas are listed as A-1,A-3,A-5, A-10, A-20. When living on an agricultural zoned property there are even state laws that overide county and city ordinances regarding smells and noises to protect the property owner.

In unincorporated Seminole County areas zoned Residential; PD, PUD, R-1 R-1a, R-1aaa etc. Fowl/livestock are not premitted.

A person can look at municode for what is or isn't permitted in the zoning where they live, a general rule of thumb if it is not listed then it isnt allowed: Most states, counties & cities use municode & post their codes there.

https://www.municode.com/library/#!...des/land_development_code?nodeId=LADECOSECOFL

The Code used for Fowl in Seminole County:

FOWL OR LIVESTOCK HOUSED IN RESIDENTIAL ZONE SCLDC Chapter 30 Section 30.1345 (d)

DESCRIPTION: In any residential area, no commercial kennels nor livestock or fowl may be housed or pastured in a residential zone, nor may any commercial production of any stock animal or fowl be permitted.

CORRECTIVE ACTION: Cease housing or pasturing any livestock or fowl within and/or cease any commercial production of any stock animal or fowl in a residential zone.

It's not uncommon for a property owner in a residential area to request a special exception be made for their parcel through the BCC. For a single therapeutic chicken for an autistic child.

Hope this helps those that are curious.

Be well & have a safe day!!

Last edited:
It is good to remember if there was a "no chickens' ordinance on the books, and you got chickens anyway, you are in direct violation. Chickens always fall under "poultry and livestock definitions."

Sadly most people wait till after they get caught and become reactive and want to petition the laws or ordinances. They may even ask to meet with city or county leaders to get permission to raise chickens, but those leaders will look at the fact you've already shown that you are willing to ignore regulations this will be a tough sell to city or county leaders. Kinda hard to prove that you will abide by any regulations they pass if you've already shown that rules don't matter to you!

The chicken owners really have to point the finger at themselves because they did not research the regulations before getting chickens and get attached to them. When they get "caught", the common pratice it seems is to blame the local officials instead of a lack of research on the part of the owner.

Here are some steps to take when attempting to get the local laws or ordinances changed:

Quoting another BYC member: (Blooie)

"Okay, got your research hat on? Pencils sharpened? Bifocals at the ready? Pot of coffee on? And, of course, your temper tucked firmly in your pocket? Good, then here we go.

As I see it the first place to start is research. That's going to mean burning some midnight oil because you're on a tight time frame here. You first need to find out which nearby communities in your area allow chickens. See how their regulations are written. Do they limit the number of chickens? Rooster restrictions? Permit required? What are the setback requirements for where to locate a coop. What are the enforcement options of the town or city if an owner is found to be in violation? Are there any definitions that differ from town to town - in other words, some communities list poultry, then list chickens separately. I've never understood that delineation, but officials being officials sometimes the more words they put into an ordinance the more meat they think it contains, even if they are comparing apples to oranges.

Okay, now that you have that it, put it into a concise document. It doesn't have to be fancy - at these meetings nothing will shortchange your efforts like presenting 50 pages of stuff that they don't have time during a meeting to read. You could simply put, "Mainsville. Limit 4 chickens. No roosters. Set backs ___ feet from neighboring properties, ____ feet from fencing, ____ feet from public roadways. Enforcement - warning 1st offence, fine 2nd offence. Removal of poultry and fine 3rd offence. Then list the next community, and so on. Have I lost you yet?

If not, read on. Now find people in those areas and in your area who have chickens. Here's where you have to spend a little money. Put brief ads in the local papers, asking for fellow poultry owners to attend the meeting with you and answer concerns that they have overcome in their setups. All you have to say is something like, "Looking for help from local chicken (specify chicken!) owners to form a group in order to facilitate keeping of backyard chickens in ___________________(name of your community)." Then when they contact you, try to pin them down. Will they provide documentation from local ordinances and explain their positive experiences? Do they have an existing group you can join?

Now you need approval from your neighbors. That approval has to be more than, "George has chickens and it reminds me of growing up on the farm, plus I like the eggs. Thank you." That ain't gonna cut it. You need them to affirm that your facility is kept clean, that you take good care of the birds, that you are diligent in not allowing your chickens to be a nuisance, and that they would have no objection to you continuing your hobby.

Okay, you have your neighboring communities' ordinances. You have put it into a concise outline. You have your newly formed Poultry Guild members (or have joined an existing one). You have written approval from all of your neighbors. Now you need an ounce of courage, a pint of confidence, a quart of humor, and a gallon of courtesy. You are ready. Now go get 'em!"

Getting an Ordinance changed is a lengthly uphill challenge, remember that getting petions signed don't get the ord/law changed, but rather get you heard and your proverbial foot in the door. These changes do not happen over night. And is best approached if you are not already in violation of local laws/ords. as it will appear as a knee jerk reaction.

Hello. First off, I'm very impressed with the time you took out to thoroughly detail not only what the laws are, but how we can raise chickens legally. My wife and I are about to buy a house and would like to raise some chickens for eggs. Like you stated, we want to make sure we are in compliance, so I am researching. My confusion is as follows. I am moving to Sanford, Fl off of 327 near the Flea World rear entrance. I went to the municode site you posted on another thread to see what the laws are. Do I follow Sanford or Seminole County ordinances? For Sanford, it states:

Sec. 14-4. - Keeping fowl near dwelling.
It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain, in the city, live fowl of any kind within 150 feet of any dwelling house, apartment or garage apartment occupied by human beings for residential purposes; provided, however, that this section shall not prevent the owner or keeper of live fowl from keeping such fowl within 25 feet of the dwelling house, apartment or garage apartment occupied by such owner or keeper so long as no other dwelling house, apartment or garage apartment occupied as provided in this section is within 150 feet of such fowl; provided further that this section shall not prevent the keeping of live fowl for sale by merchants or any other person keeping or maintaining exotic birds within cages on their property.
(Code 1954, § 5-8; Code 1973, § 4-11; Ord. No. 1315, § 1, 10-27-1975; Ord. No. 2052, § 1, 8-28-1989)

From what I can gather, in the bold section, it states that I can keep chickens so long as neighboring housing is more than 150ft away.

Is this correct? I don't want to go investing time and money if we can't legally raise chickens. Thanks in advance!

Not sure of this thread is still active but I'll ask anyway. looking into buying a house in Seminole county. It's zoned a-5. The house was forclosed and they do not have any information on it. If it's already zoned for it can I just put up my own stuff without contacting the city or do I need to go through them.

Not sure of this thread is still active but I'll ask anyway. looking into buying a house in Seminole county. It's zoned a-5. The house was forclosed and they do not have any information on it. If it's already zoned for it can I just put up my own stuff without contacting the city or do I need to go through them.

looks like code man’s been off the site since 2016...

https://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/core/fileparse.php/3207/urlt/Chicken-Ordinance-2018.pdf

Found this online, it’s a bunch of legal mumble jumble but it says something along the lines of you being allowed to have four hens in a single family household...

I’m not sure why things are crossed out, if the program is still running, or really anything (I don’t even live in Florida) but I hope this helps you anyways, I’m going to try and read through it to figure out what it all means.

looks like code man’s been off the site since 2016...

https://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/core/fileparse.php/3207/urlt/Chicken-Ordinance-2018.pdf

Found this online, it’s a bunch of legal mumble jumble but it says something along the lines of you being allowed to have four hens in a single family household...

I’m not sure why things are crossed out, if the program is still running, or really anything (I don’t even live in Florida) but I hope this helps you anyways, I’m going to try and read through it to figure out what it all means.
https://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/de...tions-resources/backyard_chicken_program.stml

its only in incoprorated seminole and it isn't in city limits

Back
Top Bottom