Understanding Genetics

No, chocolate is sex linked recessive. If you breed a chocolate female to a black male, all the ducklings will be black. All the males will be split to chocolate, though, and will produce female chocolate ducklings.

Yes, breeding two siblings from the first cross together would produce chocolate bibbed males too. It would also produce a ton of other things too. Chocolate bibbed in both genders, black bibbed in both genders, self chocolate and self black, nutmeg, snowy, gold phase snowy, mallard, dusky mallard, khaki, dusky snowy and dusky gold phase snowy but I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference from regular snowies...I think that's all of them.

oh wow that’s a lot of things that could be produced in the second generation.

oh wow that’s a lot of things that could be produced in the second generation.

Yeah, so if you want to keep things neat and headed towards a specific color, best not to cross those siblings, haha. It's just a lot of genes that are all getting tossed together from that first cross, and in the second cross the all have the chance to come together.

Yeah, so if you want to keep things neat and headed towards a specific color, best not to cross those siblings, haha. It's just a lot of genes that are all getting tossed together from that first cross, and in the second cross the all have the chance to come together.

So my other question is what size will that end up. Will they be more East Indie size in between the two, closer to welsh size?

Though it could be interesting to see all those colors in East Indie size.

So my other question is what size will that end up. Will they be more East Indie size in between the two, closer to welsh size?

Though it could be interesting to see all those colors in East Indie size.

Probably they'll be somewhere in the middle. Smaller than the WH but larger than the BEI.

Back
Top Bottom