Justagoose_18

Songster
Nov 28, 2018
A chick hatched this morning around 6am, and I immediately noticed that there seemed to be a good bit of yolk under her and something was bleeding- it was clear against the paper towel. Today is day 20. I then took it out of the incubator quickly and placed it back in its eggshell in a cup in a different incubator. A few hours later, the second incubator is a little messy and smells like blood! (She escaped) I checked her again and the sac is not ruptured, but the size of half a penny. I gave her some electrolyte water and she’s now resting in the cup, no shell. She has an extremely strong will to live!! I have six others out right now that are perfectly fine. Is there anything else I should do? And I’m concerned about the other eggs that have her yolk and blood on them. Are they ok? It dried up on their shells overnight but these eggs haven’t pipped yet. Thank you guys!

Here’s the mess in the first bator:

Attachments

• FA876FD0-E1A7-4EF2-A3DD-E5D66EAE031D.jpeg
    FA876FD0-E1A7-4EF2-A3DD-E5D66EAE031D.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 41
A chick hatched this morning around 6am, and I immediately noticed that there seemed to be a good bit of yolk under her and something was bleeding- it was clear against the paper towel. Today is day 20. I then took it out of the incubator quickly and placed it back in its eggshell in a cup in a different incubator. A few hours later, the second incubator is a little messy and smells like blood! (She escaped) I checked her again and the sac is not ruptured, but the size of half a penny. I gave her some electrolyte water and she’s now resting in the cup, no shell. She has an extremely strong will to live!! I have six others out right now that are perfectly fine. Is there anything else I should do? And I’m concerned about the other eggs that have her yolk and blood on them. Are they ok? It dried up on their shells overnight but these eggs haven’t pipped yet. Thank you guys!
Can you post a pic of the chick? The eggs should be ok, I once cracked one all over my other eggs on accident and they were fine. Put the chick in a tall cup with toilet paper or paper towels in the bottom. Put the chick back in half of the shell and put it in the cup. Don't let it get out until the yolk is gone, it will probably take about 24 hours. Don't let any other chicks get to it, they'll peck the sack open. If it ruptures your chick will die. Good luck!

Can you post a pic of the chick? The eggs should be ok, I once cracked one all over my other eggs on accident and they were fine. Put the chick in a tall cup with toilet paper or paper towels in the bottom. Put the chick back in half of the shell and put it in the cup. Don't let it get out until the yolk is gone, it will probably take about 24 hours. Don't let any other chicks get to it, they'll peck the sack open. If it ruptures your chick will die. Good luck!
Ok, here’s a picture. Looks so different from an hour ago! Her egg shell was on since 7 am, and it has all sorts of gunk in it- kind of like thick watery yolk, that I can’t clean because it’s stuck. She kept escaping from the shell and using it as a jumping off point. Even now, she is set on escaping! I can’t tell what I’m looking at in the picture, but the yolk has definitely gone down:

Attachments

• 0373413A-AB41-463D-8308-6CA3F924288D.jpeg
    0373413A-AB41-463D-8308-6CA3F924288D.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 39
  • B202FE45-78C7-4819-8562-B942A911368B.jpeg
    B202FE45-78C7-4819-8562-B942A911368B.jpeg
    252.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 581CC8BC-0E7C-4CAC-A573-4E15208E1004.jpeg
    581CC8BC-0E7C-4CAC-A573-4E15208E1004.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 33
  • B245D253-FC53-4650-B57E-B56E1A683E20.jpeg
    B245D253-FC53-4650-B57E-B56E1A683E20.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 31
I also have one egg that has pipped upside down! The membranes looked dried out and cover anything movement I could see.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 26
Ok, here’s a picture. Looks so different from an hour ago! Her egg shell was on since 7 am, and it has all sorts of gunk in it- kind of like thick watery yolk, that I can’t clean because it’s stuck. She kept escaping from the shell and using it as a jumping off point. Even now, she is set on escaping! I can’t tell what I’m looking at in the picture, but the yolk has definitely gone down:
Its looking really good. Keep it separated from the others until there's no blood or anything. Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin you can put on it? Gently, of course

I also have one egg that has pipped upside down! The membranes looked dried out and cover anything movement I could see.
It's malpositioned. Most of the time they hatch just fine on their own though. Keep an eye on it, but it should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom