Tylenol/valerian root euthanasia method?

LRH97

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
I was wondering if anyone could attest to the effectiveness of this method? I read (I think it was here at BYC) that this method was pretty quiet and humane. Traditionally, I've always used a .22 to the back of the head for dispatching birds, but I'd like a little more peaceful manner once the need arises again. All input welcome!

Last edited:
I'm not going to mince words.

Removing the brain from the body is ALWAYS the cleanest kill. By hand or by bullet, one in the same.

Even veterinary euthanasia drugs are preceded with a sedative to calm the nerves of the animal that is about to have it's heart stopped. That process usually takes a few minutes and can still have death throes if not done correctly, more often than not.

Anything that you can acquire without a vet license is going to be a bad deal, it will be painful for the animal. I'm guessing that Tylenol/whatever will just put an animal into severe organ failure and although they appear to be going peacefully, their kidneys/liver/stomach/heart are in such distress that it causes unconsciousness like they are going "peacefully" before they die.

Keep your .22, it's the best death you can give.

The flopping around is for us, they have already moved on.

Thanks for all the replies! I sort of figured as much. The article states that the chicken is "basically given an overdose of sedative medication that gently puts them into a permanent sleep." If it was so humane, I probably would have heard more recommendations to this method on a larger scale. The .22 will be the method of choice when that sad decision is the only one left. Thanks again!

I can also put the link to the article if anyone wants to read further on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies! I sort of figured as much. The article states that the chicken is "basically given an overdose of sedative medication that gently puts them into a permanent sleep." If it was so humane, I probably would have heard more recommendations to this method on a larger scale. The .22 will be the method of choice when that sad decision is the only one left. Thanks again!

I can also put the link to the article if anyone wants to read further on it.
I am trying to picture in my head how the deed is done by a .22 shot in the head of a chicken. I am assuming that if the chicken is to be euthanized it is because it is sick and doesn't move very much. Do you have to be a pretty good shot to aim at the head and don't miss it? I know chickens are constantly moving so please give me some instructions as to how you do it.
So far I have used a CO2 chamber when I have to euthanize a chicken and I cannot take her to the vet. I am still trying to find the fastest and more humane method.

I am trying to picture in my head how the deed is done by a .22 shot in the head of a chicken. I am assuming that if the chicken is to be euthanized it is because it is sick and doesn't move very much. Do you have to be a pretty good shot to aim at the head and don't miss it? I know chickens are constantly moving so please give me some instructions as to how you do it.
So far I have used a CO2 chamber when I have to euthanize a chicken and I cannot take her to the vet. I am still trying to find the fastest and more humane method.
We use a hatchet and stump. It's messy, but over in seconds. I realize it's also not ideal for everyone - especially if their chickens are pets. I couldn't use that method on my cat or dog.

Yes, euthanasia always is a last resort; after I've done everything I know to do for a sick or injured bird, and I'm confident its condition will not improve. (I don't have access to a vet that will see chickens; I've called everywhere in my area.) You don't have to be a good shot at all. Just a little hand/eye coordination to make sure the shot is clean and gets the job done in one go. I've always euthanized after dark, so the bird can't see. They move less in the dark as well. You could also wrap the bird in a towel, if you choose. Have someone hold a flashlight or use a head lamp. Put the barrel to the back of the head (or the side if the bird is moving its head) and fire. It is quick and painless, but the bird does flop a bit.

My original intent with this thread was to see if there was a good way to basically put the chicken to sleep, but after the responses, I really think the .22 is the best and most humane way to go. It's quick, painless, and the birds often don't even see it coming.

Last edited:
Yes, euthanasia always is a last resort; after I've done everything I know to do for a sick or injured bird, and I'm confident its condition will not improve. (I don't have access to a vet that will see chickens; I've called everywhere in my area.) You don't have to be a good shot at all. Just a little hand/eye coordination to make sure the shot is clean and gets the job done in one go. I've always euthanized after dark, so the bird can't see. They move less in the dark as well. You could also wrap the bird in a towel, if you choose. Have someone hold a flashlight or use a head lamp. Put the barrel to the back of the head (or the side if the bird is moving its head) and fire. It is quick and painless, but the bird does flop a bit.

My original intent with this thread was to see if there was a good way to basically put the chicken to sleep, but after the responses, I really think the .22 is the best and most humane way to go. It's quick, painless, and the birds often don't even see it coming.
I agree that the .22 is the most humane method for you.

Back
Top Bottom