Two week old pullet breathing strange

Coffetym

Songster
Mar 12, 2023
South Mississippi
Although not new to chickens we recently received our shipment of Black Laced Silver Wyandottes. We have 16 pullets & 2 Roos. They’re almost 2 weeks old & doing great except for 1 of the pullets. She seems to be struggling to breathe & as she is doing so the area just below her eyes & her upper throat swells out with each breath.
We only noticed this yesterday. She seems to be the only one doing this but is still eating & drinking. They are all eating chick starter except for the time we take them out of the brooder & let them scratch in the grass. We have been doing this for about 4 days, trying to acclimate them to us.
Below is a video of her breathing.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome To BYC

Are her nostrils open and clear?

Any discharge from the nostrils?

Any air bubbles under the skin around the head, neck, under the wings, etc. (see image below for location of air sacs)?

Any lesions inside the beak, look in the Choanal slit of the beak for any obstruction or debris. (see photo for location of Choanal Slit).

I know it will be a bit difficult to take a look she's tiny, do the best you can.

The puffing like that reminds of respiratory illness, but if you got these chicks shipped from a major hatchery that possibility is fairly low.
I'd investigate. If you don't find a reason like ruptured air sac, blocked nostrils, etc., then I'd consider giving an oral antibiotic like Tylan.

1685759458253.png
1685759556530.png

Thank you for your reply.
As far as I can tell, her nostrils seem open & there isn’t any drainage. I haven’t found the appearance of any air bubbles. As far as being able to open her beak & look inside, she absolutely refuses to be a good patient & allow me to check her choanal slit. I will continue to watch her & possibly try getting the Tylan you mentioned.
Thank You

Back
Top Bottom