Two Roos and I don't know what to do

RooCanDo

Hatching
Oct 18, 2022
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have two roosters and I need help making the right decision.

To start off I had 7 plus 1 rooster I didn't know was a roo. So I rehomed 6 to a lady at my local farm swap. And the one I was left with turned into a cocky roo who attacks my kids and girlfriend. He won't go near me because I started doing the dominance trick were you put his face to the ground. He's aggressive with the hens and scares them away from the feeder. As well as keeping hens separated. He has 4 favorite that he will keep separate and if the others get close he chases them away from his 4. So I put him by himself because I can't trust him for 10 minutes with the hens.

I recently released that I have another rooster who is getting a bigger comb now and jumped on one of the hens in my presence so I had an ah ha moment. He doesn't crow and he's not aggressive to people or chickens. I'm guessing he is the beta even though the alpha is in chicken jail.

My question is if I get rid of cocky roo will quiet become him as the alpha and be a jerk to everyone?

Your syntax is a bit confusing. Could you please clarify that last sentence?

Taking in the information of the rest of your thread, if I put myself in your place, I would definitely get rid of the jerk. He's a menace to humans and hens. No debate.

There is no way to predict with certainty if the milder cockerel will make a good rooster or not, but present temperament is a positive indicator.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have two roosters and I need help making the right decision.

To start off I had 7 plus 1 rooster I didn't know was a roo. So I rehomed 6 to a lady at my local farm swap. And the one I was left with turned into a cocky roo who attacks my kids and girlfriend. He won't go near me because I started doing the dominance trick were you put his face to the ground. He's aggressive with the hens and scares them away from the feeder. As well as keeping hens separated. He has 4 favorite that he will keep separate and if the others get close he chases them away from his 4. So I put him by himself because I can't trust him for 10 minutes with the hens.

I recently released that I have another rooster who is getting a bigger comb now and jumped on one of the hens in my presence so I had an ah ha moment. He doesn't crow and he's not aggressive to people or chickens. I'm guessing he is the beta even though the alpha is in chicken jail.

My question is if I get rid of cocky roo will quiet become him as the alpha and be a jerk to everyone?
Unfortunately there's no way to know if the second rooster will turn out to be a jerk. But I would definitely give it a try rather than dealing with a human aggressive rooster who is also ill mannered towards his hens.

Your syntax is a bit confusing. Could you please clarify that last sentence?

Taking in the information of the rest of your thread, if I put myself in your place, I would definitely get rid of the jerk. He's a menace to humans and hens. No debate.

There is no way to predict with certainty if the milder cockerel will make a good rooster or not, but present temperament is a positive indicator.
Sorry. I had 8 roosters to start I got rid of 6 but I was only aware I had kept 1 rooster not 2.

attacks my kids and girlfriend
Sounds like these are really young, still in puberty. If this were just about his interactions with the pullets I might suggest giving his time to mature into a responsible rooster instead of a hormone driven immature jerk. They can change behaviors, which leads into the next question below. But with his human aggression you can never trust him, not around your kids let alone anyone else. No way would I keep this one around where he might escape containment.

I agree with the others, you just don't know. The dominant one can subdue the submissive one's behaviors. He may become a human aggressive jerk when he is in charge of the flock. Or he may not. Human aggression is my main red flag. I don't have any tolerance for an animal that is a danger to kids.

As far as behaviors with the pullets, lots of different things can happen. The behaviors of immature cockerels and pullets can be totally different than mature roosters and hens. The individual personalities of the immature pullets and mature hens have an effect on flock dynamics, it's not 100% on the boys, but an immature cockerel can be all strung out with raging hormones having a huge effect on how he approaches the girls. Usually once he matures enough to control his hormones and the pullets start acting like mature hens they fall into their intended rolls in the flock and things become very peaceful. Sometimes puberty isn't all that bad. But it can be extremely difficult to watch. A lot of cockerels don't live through that phase or you may need to lock him up for a month or two so they can mature to the point it is tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom