TURN EGGS BEFORE PUTTING THEM IN INCUBATOR?

gcarmack2001

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2018
I've been in 4H for several years, and when I first got into chickens one of the colleges that breeds/raises chickens would donate hatching eggs to the 4H kids. Well, last year was the last year they did that, so this year the kids have been disappointed, as they always show the chicks that hatch at the local county fair.
I currently have Salmon Faverolles laying like crazy, so I offered to donate eggs to kids who wanted to hatch some. I have the next few weeks planned out to collect eggs for 2-3 different kids. I do have a question though about storing the eggs until they are given to the kids.
Do they need to be turned daily even though they aren't in the incubator?
I once collected eggs for an older woman, and when I mentioned the storing she said to just place them in an egg carton under somebody's bed until we brought them to her. I didn't turn them or anything, but then I saw a post on here from several years ago about needing to turn them while being stored? I have an egg turner I can put them in to be turned while being stored but didn't know if I needed to do that or not. Anybody have the answer to this particular question? TIA

I sell hatching eggs. Every morning I collect eggs, I place them in an auto turner until I package and ship them off. It's best to keep them turn at least 2 times a day during storage. Also perfect temp is around 60-75 F for storing hatching eggs. After 7 days old, the eggs starts to lessen it's chances to hatch. Never wash hatching eggs. Eggs have a bloom on them to protect them from bacteria.

I sell hatching eggs. Every morning I collect eggs, I place them in an auto turner until I package and ship them off. It's best to keep them turn at least 2 times a day during storage. Also perfect temp is around 60-75 F for storing hatching eggs. After 7 days old, the eggs starts to lessen it's chances to hatch. Never wash hatching eggs. Eggs have a bloom on them to protect them from bacteria.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom