Turkey Behavior

Ashb0429

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
I recently picked up a turkey poult in my latest impulse chick buy. (Most of you know what I mean - siren’s call of feed store chicks was too strong and you give in… happens at least once a year for most of us. The rest of you are Zen masters if you can resist.)

I added 1 poult to my box of chicks because a) they’re adorable b) I’ve had chickens for about five years now but never a turkey and I’m curious but want to start slow to make sure it’s a bird I want to raise.

So far the poult has been absolutely adorable and friendly and wonderful. Much more social than chicks and 1000% better than ducklings. However pretty sure “it” is a Tom as he has started doing little displays of strutting at the young cockerels when they try and test him.

Not knowing what to expect my question is - should I be worried that at 4-5 weeks these behaviors are popping up? In my experience the younger a cockerel begins acting like a rooster the more aggressive they will be. Is the same true in turkeys?

Attachments

• IMG_2167.jpeg
    IMG_2167.jpeg
    342.4 KB · Views: 14
Poults raised with other species tend to identify with them . Especially a single . I have had several chickens squashed or beat up over the years. Once a turkey gets an idea in it's head it's relentless. Turkeys do better with other turkey friends.

. Turkeys need about 10x more room than chickens. If the chickens can and will run eventually the turkey will quit chasing.

Not knowing what to expect my question is - should I be worried that at 4-5 weeks these behaviors are popping up? In my experience the younger a cockerel begins acting like a rooster the more aggressive they will be. Is the same true in turkeys?
It's going to get worse. Turkey poults imprint very easily. Sounds like you not only had your poult imprinted by the chickens but also by you. Your turkey as an adult will not understand that there is a difference between chicken and turkeys or people and turkeys.

If it indeed is a male, it will start killing the chickens when it tries to breed them. It is likely to begin attacking people as it tries to move up in the pecking order.

Behavioral issues can become worse with improper feed.

Chick starter does not have the levels of protein, lysine, methionine or niacin that poults need for the first 6 to 8 weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom